On Imran Khan's Trail
Imran Khan's extraordinary cricketing
career ended with victory in the 1992 World Cup. He then built a career in
philanthropy and politics, founding his own party, Pakistan Tahreek-e-Insaf
(PTI), in 1996. Imran is a charismatic, Oxford-educated youth icon, but his
popularity translated into little or no success early in his political career. Slowly
and steadily, Imran has built himself up on claims of creating a “Naya Pakistan”.
Imran’s fight has been against Pakistan’s corrupt ruling class which has
subverted democratic processes in the country. The 2013 general elections saw an
improved performance from PTI: they won 34 seats to the 126 won by the Nawaz
Sharif-led Pakistan Muslim League. While Sharif would be PM, Imran will lead
the opposition – a big improvement from the time he wielded no political
clout in the country. [TAG:CYCSPL]
See More in Yahoo Cricket Widescreen
- vs. AFGIRE5th ODITue, Jul 19, 2016Stormont, Belfast, IrelandAfghanistan in Ireland ODI...
- PAK won by 75 runsvs. PAKENG1st TestThu, Jul 14, 2016London, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
- AFG won by 79 runsvs. AFGIRE4th ODISun, Jul 17, 2016Stormont, Belfast, IrelandAfghanistan in Ireland ODI...
- vs. AUSSL1st TestTue, Jul 26, 2016Tue, Jul 26, 2016Kandy, Sri LankaWarne-Muralitharan Trophy,...
- vs. NZZIM1st TestThu, Jul 28, 2016Thu, Jul 28, 2016Bulawayo, ZimbabweNew Zealand in Zimbabwe Te...
- vs. INDWI2nd TestSat, Jul 30, 2016Sat, Jul 30, 2016Kingston, Jamaica, West IndiesIndia in West Indies Test ...