Not Just Another Bridal Wear Campaign
The May 22 episode of Poland’s Next Top Model featured some familiar faces. Namely, Mumbai fashion photographer Suresh Natarajan and designers Narendra Kumar, Masaba Gupta, Anamika Khanna, Shivan & Narresh and Asmita Marwah.
The Polish edition of supermodel Tyra Banks’s popular reality TV competition, in which modelling hopefuls compete for a contract with NEXT Model Management and a campaign with Max Factor, shot two episodes of its third cycle in Mumbai.
Models were tasked with various fashion-related challenges which lead to one competitor being eliminated at the end of each episode.
So what constitutes a challenge for a Polish model in India?
Drape a sari, go on a 'go-sees' (visiting rounds of designers in the hope of booking a job) and pose for a Natarajan-helmed photoshoot that lasted for five hours at the Kanheri caves in Borivali's Sanjay Gandhi National Park.
Dressed in brightly-coloured saris and lehengas and wearing heavy jewellery, the European models were expected to get into the skin of a proper Bharatiya nari (Indian woman).
Since Natarajan's photoshoot would determine which one of the six remaining contestants would be eliminated, the photographer was also asked to critique the models, which he confesses he isn’t very good at.
"That was the only time the language barrier came up,” he says. “I didn’t know they wanted me to be on the show critiquing the girls, or I would have said no!"
- Rochelle Pinto
More from Vogue.in
- vs. DELKOLMatch 6Sat, Apr 19, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- BLR won by 7 wkts.vs. MUMBLRMatch 5Sat, Apr 19, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- RAJ won by 4 wkts.vs. RAJSRHMatch 4Fri, Apr 18, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- No live matches are in progress.
- vs. KXIPRAJMatch 7Sun, Apr 20, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. DELCHEMatch 8Mon, Apr 21, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- vs. SRHKXIPMatch 9Tue, Apr 22, 2014Tue, Apr 22, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
Latest Photo Albums
All the noteworthy cricket quotes this month. More » Soundbyte — April 2014
Praveen Kumar is one of only two bowlers to have bowled wicket-maiden overs five times. Fifteen numbers from the Indian Twenty20 League. (Text: ESPNcricinfo) More » Key numbers from IPL
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge show off their cricket skills in Christchurch. More » Cricket gets royal treatment
Celebrations in Sri Lanka, gloom in India. More » Cricket Photos of The Week 13.4.14
The victorious Sri Lanka and Australia women's teams get a rousing welcome after their WT20 exploits in Bangladesh. More » World Twenty20 Celebrations
The victorious Australia women's team and Lasith Malinga from the Sri Lanka men's team pose with their spoils after the ICC World Twenty20. More » WT20: The Winner's Photocall
Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara ended their Twenty20 Internationals career on a high as Sri Lanka defeated India by six wickets in the final of the 2014 World Twenty20. Here's a look at the two legends' … More » [STATISTICS] Jayawardene and Sangakkara in T20 Internationals