Jaipur - not just for the Literature Festival
Though the Jaipur Literature Festival – always colorful, often controversial -- is the premier literary event in the country, it is not all that Jaipur has to offer. Founded in 1727 by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II, a Kachwaha Rajput who ruled the state of Jaipur from 1699 to 1744, the city takes after his name. The Maharaja moved his capital from Amber Fort, 11 km from the city in the adjoining hills, owing to a scarcity of water and growing population. In 1853, when the Prince of Wales visited the city, the entire city was painted a shade of earthy pink to welcome him. The practice stayed, and Jaipur assumed the sobriquet of Pink City thereafter. The Nahargarh Fort, which overlooks the city from a hillock to the northwest, the Jaigarh Fort known for its enormous cannon are the other forts. The City Palace, the Prince Albert Museum, Hawa Mahal, Jantar Mantar and the Jal Mahal are some of the most-visited monuments.
Explore Jaipur through these photos.
- RAJ won by 4 wkts.vs. RAJSRHMatch 4Fri, Apr 18, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- KXIP won by 6 wkts.vs. KXIPCHEMatch 3Fri, Apr 18, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- BLR won by 8 wkts.vs. BLRDELMatch 2Thu, Apr 17, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. MUMBLRMatch 5Sat, Apr 19, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. DELKOLMatch 6Sat, Apr 19, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. KXIPRAJMatch 7Sun, Apr 20, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
Latest Photo Albums
All the noteworthy cricket quotes this month. More » Soundbyte — April 2014
Praveen Kumar is one of only two bowlers to have bowled wicket-maiden overs five times. Fifteen numbers from the Indian Twenty20 League. (Text: ESPNcricinfo) More » Key numbers from IPL
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge show off their cricket skills in Christchurch. More » Cricket gets royal treatment
Celebrations in Sri Lanka, gloom in India. More » Cricket Photos of The Week 13.4.14
The victorious Sri Lanka and Australia women's teams get a rousing welcome after their WT20 exploits in Bangladesh. More » World Twenty20 Celebrations
The victorious Australia women's team and Lasith Malinga from the Sri Lanka men's team pose with their spoils after the ICC World Twenty20. More » WT20: The Winner's Photocall
Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara ended their Twenty20 Internationals career on a high as Sri Lanka defeated India by six wickets in the final of the 2014 World Twenty20. Here's a look at the two legends' … More » [STATISTICS] Jayawardene and Sangakkara in T20 Internationals