Houses of the Holy - Chennai's historic churches
While the eastern seaboard of India is dotted with temples built by dynasty after dynasty in propitiation of, or gratitude for, celestial favours rendered, Chennai has some very beautiful churches of antiquity.
St Andrews Kirk is considered one of the ten most beautiful Georgian buildings in the world. Consecrated in 1821, it has exquisite stained glass windows and panels shipped from Scotland.
St Thomas Basilica at Santhome, Mylapore, is where one of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ was buried after his martyrdom in AD 72. The museum at the back of the church has many such interesting relics and is a must-visit.
St Thomas Mount offers a generous panorama of the flat countryside of Chennai. The hillock is venerated as the site of the martyrdom of St Thomas. At its top is a shrine to Our Lady of Expectation, built in 1523.
Follow Yahoo! India Travel's unique live web travelogue, updated in real time, with photographer Azhar Mohamed Ali and writer Bijoy Venugopal. The Great East Coast Road Drive uncovers destinations seen and unseen along this scenic route. Interact live with us and tweet your comments with #greatecrdrive
Read more about the churches of Chennai
PHOTOS: AZHAR MOHAMED ALI
See More in Yahoo Cricket Widescreen
1 - 4 of 42
- vs. AUSSL1st TestTue, Jul 26, 2016Kandy, Sri LankaWarne-Muralitharan Trophy,...
- ENG won by 330 runsvs. PAKENG2nd TestFri, Jul 22, 2016Manchester, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
- IND won by an inn.vs. INDWI1st TestThu, Jul 21, 2016Antigua, West IndiesIndia in West Indies Test ...
- vs. PAKENG3rd TestWed, Aug 03, 2016Wed, Aug 03, 2016Birmingham, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
- vs. AUSSL2nd TestThu, Aug 04, 2016Thu, Aug 04, 2016Galle, Sri LankaWarne-Muralitharan Trophy,...
- vs. NZZIM2nd TestSat, Aug 06, 2016Sat, Aug 06, 2016Bulawayo, ZimbabweNew Zealand in Zimbabwe Te...