Houses of the Holy - Chennai's historic churches
While the eastern seaboard of India is dotted with temples built by dynasty after dynasty in propitiation of, or gratitude for, celestial favours rendered, Chennai has some very beautiful churches of antiquity.
St Andrews Kirk is considered one of the ten most beautiful Georgian buildings in the world. Consecrated in 1821, it has exquisite stained glass windows and panels shipped from Scotland.
St Thomas Basilica at Santhome, Mylapore, is where one of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ was buried after his martyrdom in AD 72. The museum at the back of the church has many such interesting relics and is a must-visit.
St Thomas Mount offers a generous panorama of the flat countryside of Chennai. The hillock is venerated as the site of the martyrdom of St Thomas. At its top is a shrine to Our Lady of Expectation, built in 1523.
Follow Yahoo! India Travel's unique live web travelogue, updated in real time, with photographer Azhar Mohamed Ali and writer Bijoy Venugopal. The Great East Coast Road Drive uncovers destinations seen and unseen along this scenic route. Interact live with us and tweet your comments with #greatecrdrive
Read more about the churches of Chennai
PHOTOS: AZHAR MOHAMED ALI
See More in Yahoo Cricket Widescreen
1 - 4 of 42
- vs. AUSENG1st ODIThu, Sep 03, 2015Southampton, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...
- IND won by 117 runsvs. INDSL3rd TestFri, Aug 28, 2015Colombo, Sri LankaIndia in Sri Lanka Test Se...
- ENG won by 5 runsvs. AUSENGOne-off T20IMon, Aug 31, 2015Cardiff, EnglandAustralia in England T20 S...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSENG2nd ODISat, Sep 05, 2015London, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...
- vs. AUSENG3rd ODITue, Sep 08, 2015Tue, Sep 08, 2015Manchester, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...
- vs. AUSENG4th ODIFri, Sep 11, 2015Fri, Sep 11, 2015Leeds, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...