Houses of the Holy - Chennai's historic churches
While the eastern seaboard of India is dotted with temples built by dynasty after dynasty in propitiation of, or gratitude for, celestial favours rendered, Chennai has some very beautiful churches of antiquity.
St Andrews Kirk is considered one of the ten most beautiful Georgian buildings in the world. Consecrated in 1821, it has exquisite stained glass windows and panels shipped from Scotland.
St Thomas Basilica at Santhome, Mylapore, is where one of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ was buried after his martyrdom in AD 72. The museum at the back of the church has many such interesting relics and is a must-visit.
St Thomas Mount offers a generous panorama of the flat countryside of Chennai. The hillock is venerated as the site of the martyrdom of St Thomas. At its top is a shrine to Our Lady of Expectation, built in 1523.
Follow Yahoo! India Travel's unique live web travelogue, updated in real time, with photographer Azhar Mohamed Ali and writer Bijoy Venugopal. The Great East Coast Road Drive uncovers destinations seen and unseen along this scenic route. Interact live with us and tweet your comments with #greatecrdrive
Read more about the churches of Chennai
PHOTOS: AZHAR MOHAMED ALI
See More in Yahoo Cricket Widescreen
1 - 4 of 42
- vs. OMNUAEOne-off T20ISun, Nov 22, 2015Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesOman vs United Arab Emirat...
- OMN won by 6 wkts.vs. OMNHK1st T20ISat, Nov 21, 2015Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesOman in Hong Kong T20 Seri...
- ENG won by 84 runsvs. ENGPAK4th ODIFri, Nov 20, 2015Dubai, United Arab EmiratesEngland vs Pakistan ODI Se...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. SAIND3rd TestWed, Nov 25, 2015Nagpur, IndiaSouth Africa in India Test...
- Upcoming matchvs. OMNHK2nd T20IWed, Nov 25, 2015Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesOman in Hong Kong T20 Seri...
- Upcoming matchvs. OMNHK3rd T20IThu, Nov 26, 2015Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesOman in Hong Kong T20 Seri...