5 Shopping Havens (That Double As Airports)
Make sure you arrive well in advance if you're flying from any of these duty-free paradises
1. Changi Airport, : With over 300 shopping and retail outlets, you are always spoilt for choice irrespective of which of the three terminals your flight takes off from. Once you are done exploring all the gadgets and fragrances on offer you can shop for her at the only Chloe or Miu Miu stores at any airport worldwide or check out local fashion brands like Charles & Keith or Chomel. And if you are lucky enough to be there on a weekend checkout a whole range of ‘Fabulous Friday Deals’ for random people on your shopping list or pick up some exotic fresh flowers at TOP Orchids and surprise her when you land.
2. Frankfurt International Airport, Germany: If you are flying to the US or back, there’s a good chance you will touch down at continental Europe’s largest airport which is also a shopper’s paradise. Terminal 1 has the largest spread of brands from Etro and Hermès to Germany’s very own SØR that houses premium brands like Gant. Look out for the Porsche Design store for a range of high-octane accessories and if you need to refuel head to Marché that offers crispy salads and fresh hand-squeezed juices in a market like environment. Don’t fret if you don’t have much time at the airport just order your Duty free goodies from Heinemann’s online, flash your boarding pass and pick it all up in a jiffy
3. Dubai International Airport, UAE: The words Dubai and Duty free are almost inseparable, it’s not surprising given the sheer size and shopping buzz at the world’s largest duty free operation. Best known for its high-stakes raffle draws where you can win luxury automobiles (Like the Maybach 62S Landaulet last year) or $2 million in cash, Dubai Duty Free's 200,000 plus sq ft is every shopaholic’s dream come true. There are fabulous deals on jewellery, a wide selection of fragrances at prices lower than Dubai’s glitzy malls and an eclectic selection of French wines at Le Clos.
4. Heathrow London, UK: With about 200,000 passengers passing through its gates every single day, the world’s third busiest airport might be too chaotic for your liking. That is until you focus on your priorities. The crowds suddenly become a blur and you can indulge in retail therapy. Look for special deals on British designer brands like Mulberry and Ted Baker that comfortably rub shoulders with International favourites like Jimmy Choo and Mont Blanc. And if you are a whisky connoisseur, you will feel at home at World of Whiskies that boasts of a range of nearly 350 malts.
5. Hong Kong International Airport: The Skytrax International airport of the year (2011) enjoys the advantage of being one of the world’s newest and one of the best designed. Terminal 1 with over 160 shops is a shoppers hub and one of the first airports to feature exclusive outlets for brands like Prada, Kiehl’s and Giorgio Armani Cosmetics. And if you want to escape the brood you can either pack them off to the 4D theatre and shop for your gadgets in peace or let them shop for toys in Terminal 2 while you tee off at the 9-hole golf course.
- KOL won by 41 runsvs. KOLMUMMatch 1Wed, Apr 16, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- SL won by 6 wkts.vs. INDSLFinalSun, Apr 06, 2014Mirpur, BangladeshWorld Twenty20, 2014...
- IND won by 6 wkts.vs. SAIND2nd Semi FinalFri, Apr 04, 2014Mirpur, BangladeshWorld Twenty20, 2014...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. BLRDELMatch 2Thu, Apr 17, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. KXIPCHEMatch 3Fri, Apr 18, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. RAJSRHMatch 4Fri, Apr 18, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
Latest Photo Albums
Action in images from the first match of the 2014 season played at Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi on April 16, 2014. More » IPL-7: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders
All the noteworthy cricket quotes this month. More » Soundbyte — April 2014
Praveen Kumar is one of only two bowlers to have bowled wicket-maiden overs five times. Fifteen numbers from the Indian Twenty20 League. (Text: ESPNcricinfo) More » Key numbers from IPL
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge show off their cricket skills in Christchurch. More » Cricket gets royal treatment
Celebrations in Sri Lanka, gloom in India. More » Cricket Photos of The Week 13.4.14
The victorious Sri Lanka and Australia women's teams get a rousing welcome after their WT20 exploits in Bangladesh. More » World Twenty20 Celebrations
The victorious Australia women's team and Lasith Malinga from the Sri Lanka men's team pose with their spoils after the ICC World Twenty20. More » WT20: The Winner's Photocall
Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara ended their Twenty20 Internationals career on a high as Sri Lanka defeated India by six wickets in the final of the 2014 World Twenty20. Here's a look at the two legends' … More » [STATISTICS] Jayawardene and Sangakkara in T20 Internationals
A collection of best images from the World Twenty20 tournament in Bangladesh. More » Top Photos from World T20
India, Pakistan, England and West Indies have been crowned Twenty20 world champions in the last four editions. More » Past World T20 Winners