5 Shopping Havens (That Double As Airports)
Make sure you arrive well in advance if you're flying from any of these duty-free paradises
1. Changi Airport, : With over 300 shopping and retail outlets, you are always spoilt for choice irrespective of which of the three terminals your flight takes off from. Once you are done exploring all the gadgets and fragrances on offer you can shop for her at the only Chloe or Miu Miu stores at any airport worldwide or check out local fashion brands like Charles & Keith or Chomel. And if you are lucky enough to be there on a weekend checkout a whole range of ‘Fabulous Friday Deals’ for random people on your shopping list or pick up some exotic fresh flowers at TOP Orchids and surprise her when you land.
2. Frankfurt International Airport, Germany: If you are flying to the US or back, there’s a good chance you will touch down at continental Europe’s largest airport which is also a shopper’s paradise. Terminal 1 has the largest spread of brands from Etro and Hermès to Germany’s very own SØR that houses premium brands like Gant. Look out for the Porsche Design store for a range of high-octane accessories and if you need to refuel head to Marché that offers crispy salads and fresh hand-squeezed juices in a market like environment. Don’t fret if you don’t have much time at the airport just order your Duty free goodies from Heinemann’s online, flash your boarding pass and pick it all up in a jiffy
3. Dubai International Airport, UAE: The words Dubai and Duty free are almost inseparable, it’s not surprising given the sheer size and shopping buzz at the world’s largest duty free operation. Best known for its high-stakes raffle draws where you can win luxury automobiles (Like the Maybach 62S Landaulet last year) or $2 million in cash, Dubai Duty Free's 200,000 plus sq ft is every shopaholic’s dream come true. There are fabulous deals on jewellery, a wide selection of fragrances at prices lower than Dubai’s glitzy malls and an eclectic selection of French wines at Le Clos.
4. Heathrow London, UK: With about 200,000 passengers passing through its gates every single day, the world’s third busiest airport might be too chaotic for your liking. That is until you focus on your priorities. The crowds suddenly become a blur and you can indulge in retail therapy. Look for special deals on British designer brands like Mulberry and Ted Baker that comfortably rub shoulders with International favourites like Jimmy Choo and Mont Blanc. And if you are a whisky connoisseur, you will feel at home at World of Whiskies that boasts of a range of nearly 350 malts.
5. Hong Kong International Airport: The Skytrax International airport of the year (2011) enjoys the advantage of being one of the world’s newest and one of the best designed. Terminal 1 with over 160 shops is a shoppers hub and one of the first airports to feature exclusive outlets for brands like Prada, Kiehl’s and Giorgio Armani Cosmetics. And if you want to escape the brood you can either pack them off to the 4D theatre and shop for your gadgets in peace or let them shop for toys in Terminal 2 while you tee off at the 9-hole golf course.
- ENG won by 330 runsvs. PAKENG2nd TestFri, Jul 22, 2016Manchester, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
- IND won by an inn.vs. INDWI1st TestThu, Jul 21, 2016Antigua, West IndiesIndia in West Indies Test ...
- IRE won by 12 runsvs. AFGIRE5th ODITue, Jul 19, 2016Stormont, Belfast, IrelandAfghanistan in Ireland ODI...
- live match AUS 66/2 (20 Overs)vs. AUSSL1st TestLIVESL 117/10;Kandy, Sri LankaWarne-Muralitharan Trophy,...
- Upcoming matchvs. NZZIM1st TestThu, Jul 28, 2016Bulawayo, ZimbabweNew Zealand in Zimbabwe Te...
- vs. INDWI2nd TestSat, Jul 30, 2016Sat, Jul 30, 2016Kingston, Jamaica, West IndiesIndia in West Indies Test ...
- vs. PAKENG3rd TestWed, Aug 03, 2016Wed, Aug 03, 2016Birmingham, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
Latest Photo Albums
James Anderson marked his return to international duty with three wickets as England beat Pakistan by a massive 330 runs to win the second Test at his Old Trafford home ground … More » Photos: England rout Pakistan by a mammoth 330 runs
Ravichandran Ashwin did what he does best: spinning India to victory. After going wicketless in the first innings, Ashwin weaved his magic with the ball picking up seven wickets.
More » Photos: Ashwin's all round heroics seal India's first innings win in WI
The second day belonged to Joe Root and Chris Woakes. English all-rounder Woakes shined both with bat and ball. He scored 58 runs and carried on his brilliant form with the ball by picking up 3 wickets later on.
More » Photos: Root's magnificent 254 puts England in the driver's seat at Oval
Umesh Yadav and comeback man Mohammad Shami rock Windies batting order as the hosts got bundled out for 243 in their 1st innings. Both Indian pacers picked up four wickets each and leg-spinner Amit Mishra took two wickets.
More » Photos: Umesh and Shami wreck West Indies hope in Antigua
Virat Kohli broke a few records after reaching his first double-century in Test cricket as India declared on 566 for the loss of 8 wickets. He became the first Indian captain to have scored a double century overseas.
More » Photos: Kohli's double and Ashwin's ton knocks the wind out of the Windies
Virat Kohli was at his elegant best as he scored his first Test century in West Indies. He kickstarted his innings with a flurry of boundaries.
He was also involved … More » Photos: Kohli's first-ever ton in Windies helps India post 302 for 4
India’s bowlers have mainly determined the fate of its cricket team in Test matches overseas. Whenever Indian bowlers have stepped up, the team has either gone on to win the match or the series.
Take a look at the most memorable bowling performances in Tests produced by the Indian bowlers … More » India’s 5 best Test bowling performances overseas
The Supreme Court on Monday accepted most of the major recommendations of the Lodha Committee on reforms in Board of Control for Cricket in India, including a bar on ministers and civil servants a from becoming its members.
The court, however, left it to Parliament to decide whether the BCCi should … More » SC ruling on BCCI: Who will be hit hard?
As history can testify, no record in the world of sport remains unbroken for too long. Cricket is no exception. But for a player to break Sachin Tendulkar’s record in One-Day Internationals will be no mean feat: he will have to play more than 463 matches, make 50 centuries (Sachin has 49) and score … More » ODIs: 6 batsmen who could score more hundreds than Sachin
Pakistan celebrated their victory over England in the first Test at Lord's on Sunday by performing a series of press-ups although defeated skipper Alistair Cook admitted it wasn't … More » PHOTOS: Pakistan celebrate Lord's Test win with push-ups, salute
Yasir Shah claimed a stunning five-wicket haul to give Pakistan complete control after dominating day two of the first Test against England at Lord's.
The world's number … More » PHOTOS: Yasir Shah stuns England with 5-wicket haul
Pakistan captain Misbah-ul-Haq became the oldest player to score a Test century for 82 years as he helped his side recover against England at Lord's on Thursday.
India will heave a sigh of relief with the absence of star players like Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo and Darren Sammy from the Windies Test squad. The West Indies squad is not as lethal it used to be when India had toured the island nation on previous occasions.
However, the Indian team is as inexperienced … More » 12 Windies cricketers who will take on the Indian heat this Caribbean summer
An India-West Indies Test series may not match the charm of an India-Pakistan or an India-Australia series, but over the years it has certainly produced many an electrifying moment in cricket.
As India take on the Windies in their backyard from July 21, we take a look at the historic Test wins of … More » 5 historic Indian Test wins in West Indies
Sourav Ganguly has always evoked extreme emotions in cricket lovers. He is referred to as ‘Dada’ or ‘Prince of Calcutta’. He has also been called a ‘spoilt brat.’ His life is checkered with on-field heroics and off-field controversies. On his 44th birthday, we take … More » Sourav Ganguly turns 44: Nine things you didn’t know about him