Yuvraj Singh has been training at the National Cricket Academy for a few weeks now and taking baby steps towards his comeback to top-flight cricket. He said today that his target was the World T20 in Sri Lanka in September.
Today, he picked up a bat after a long gap and was pleased with the results. “Happy to hit a few balls after almost six months,” he tweeted today. “Strength is OK, need to build on cardio!”
“I will be in NCA for a while now. I want to come back and play for India, that's my goal. It's not very easy on the body. I have gone through a lot and my body has gone through lot of shock.
“People are expecting me to come back very quickly, but I don't want to rush. I will have to take my time and come back hundred per cent fit," he said.
Yuvraj has played major roles in both of India’s world titles – the 2007 World T20 in South Africa, and then the 2011 World Cup in India. He was the player of the tournament in 2011. In 2007, his back-to-back fifties against England and Australia powered into in to the final of the tournament.
The 2007 event is best remembered for the six sixes Yuvraj hit in an over from England’s Stuart Broad.
Yuvraj is in his second week of rehabilitation at Bangalore’s National Cricket Academy.
"The target is the T20 World Cup, and hopefully, I will be able to come just before that," he said.
Yuvraj was diagnosed with germ-cell cancer last year and has spent the best of the last 11 months recuperating.
Cricketers who beat cancer
Yuvraj reveals emotional journey fighting cancer
Yuvraj picks up his bat again
With an eye on the World T20 in Sri Lanka, the cancer survivor has started practicing again.Yahoo! Cricket – Mon 25 Jun, 2012 9:12 PM IST
- SL won by 106 runsvs. AUSSL1st TestTue, Jul 26, 2016Kandy, Sri LankaWarne-Muralitharan Trophy,...
- ENG won by 330 runsvs. PAKENG2nd TestFri, Jul 22, 2016Manchester, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
- IND won by an inn.vs. INDWI1st TestThu, Jul 21, 2016Antigua, West IndiesIndia in West Indies Test ...
- vs. PAKENG3rd TestWed, Aug 03, 2016Wed, Aug 03, 2016Birmingham, EnglandPakistan in England Test S...
- vs. AUSSL2nd TestThu, Aug 04, 2016Thu, Aug 04, 2016Galle, Sri LankaWarne-Muralitharan Trophy,...
- vs. NZZIM2nd TestSat, Aug 06, 2016Sat, Aug 06, 2016Bulawayo, ZimbabweNew Zealand in Zimbabwe Te...
1 - 4 of 20