Yuvraj Singh has been training at the National Cricket Academy for a few weeks now and taking baby steps towards his comeback to top-flight cricket. He said today that his target was the World T20 in Sri Lanka in September.
Today, he picked up a bat after a long gap and was pleased with the results. “Happy to hit a few balls after almost six months,” he tweeted today. “Strength is OK, need to build on cardio!”
“I will be in NCA for a while now. I want to come back and play for India, that's my goal. It's not very easy on the body. I have gone through a lot and my body has gone through lot of shock.
“People are expecting me to come back very quickly, but I don't want to rush. I will have to take my time and come back hundred per cent fit," he said.
Yuvraj has played major roles in both of India’s world titles – the 2007 World T20 in South Africa, and then the 2011 World Cup in India. He was the player of the tournament in 2011. In 2007, his back-to-back fifties against England and Australia powered into in to the final of the tournament.
The 2007 event is best remembered for the six sixes Yuvraj hit in an over from England’s Stuart Broad.
Yuvraj is in his second week of rehabilitation at Bangalore’s National Cricket Academy.
"The target is the T20 World Cup, and hopefully, I will be able to come just before that," he said.
Yuvraj was diagnosed with germ-cell cancer last year and has spent the best of the last 11 months recuperating.
Cricketers who beat cancer
Yuvraj reveals emotional journey fighting cancer
Yuvraj picks up his bat again
With an eye on the World T20 in Sri Lanka, the cancer survivor has started practicing again.Yahoo! Cricket – Mon 25 Jun, 2012 9:12 PM IST
- AUS won by 23 runsvs. AUSIREOne-off ODIThu, Aug 27, 2015Stormont, Belfast, IrelandAustralia in Ireland ODI S...
- SA won by 62 runsvs. NZSA3rd ODIWed, Aug 26, 2015Durban, South AfricaNew Zealand in South Afric...
- IND won by 278 runsvs. INDSL2nd TestThu, Aug 20, 2015Colombo, Sri LankaIndia in Sri Lanka Test Se...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. INDSL3rd TestFri, Aug 28, 2015Colombo, Sri LankaIndia in Sri Lanka Test Se...
- vs. AUSENGOne-off T20IMon, Aug 31, 2015Mon, Aug 31, 2015Cardiff, EnglandAustralia in England T20 S...
- vs. AUSENG1st ODIThu, Sep 03, 2015Thu, Sep 03, 2015Southampton, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...