Top Picks At The Auction | Top Unsold
Yuvraj Singh and Dinesh Karthik were the biggest buys at the 2014 Indian Premier League auctions, with both Indian cricketers attracting 10-crore plus sums. While the Royal Challengers Bangalore snapped up the struggling Yuvraj for a staggering Rs. 14 crore, Dinesh Karthik went to the Delhi Daredevils for Rs. 12.5 crore. (The Yahoo! Cricket Tumblr has the the full spreadsheet.)
Among overseas stars, Kevin Pietersen (Rs. 9 crore by Delhi) and Mitchell Johnson (Rs. 6.5 crore to Kings XI Punjab) were the only other players whose valuations exceeded a million U.S. dollars, while the lone million dollar boy from 2013, Glenn Maxwell, just about matched that valuation with Rs. 10 crore, also by Punjab.
New Zealand star Corey Anderson, who had recently hit the fastest ODI hundred, drew a handsome price of Rs. 4.5 crore from Mumbai. The teams didn't bid for Sri Lankan stars like Mahela Jayawardene and Tillakaratne Dilshan, given their tour of the U.K. which would keep them away from the IPL.
Three struggling India players – Virender Sehwag, Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma – nearly didn’t find any takers before belated bids saw them being sold marginally above their base prices.
Sehwag (Rs. 3.5 crore) went to Punjab, Zaheer (Rs. 2.6 crore) to his former team Mumbai while Ishant (Rs. 2.6 crore) was retained by Sunrisers Hyderabad.
RELATED COVERAGE—Corruption shadow over CSK's future
Two of the biggest falls in valuations were suffered by the Pathan brothers. In 2011, Yusuf was bought by the Kolkata Knight Riders for $2.1 million while Irfan was paid $1.9 million by Delhi. With the IPL dollar exchange rate pegged at Rs. 40 per dollar, the combined incomes of the Pathan brothers was Rs. 16 crore, which came hurtling down to Rs. 5.65 crore today.
Same was the story for Saurabh Tiwary, considered a bright prospect when he was fast-tracked to the India ODI team in 2010, only for him to lose his way. In 2011, he was one of the highest-paid IPL players with a valuation of Rs. 6.4 crore. Today, he could attract just Rs. 70 lakh via the Daredevils.
As many as 216 players went under auctioneer Richard Madley's hammer today. Only 70 of them were actually sold. Of the 146 unsold, 18 were Indians. All unsold players can be brought back to the auction at the behest of team owners on Day 2 of the auction.
THE STANDINGS SO FAR
Chennai Super Kings
- Retained: MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, Dwayne Bravo, R Ashwin
- Bought: Brendon McCullum [Rs 3.25 cr]; Dwayne Smith [Rs 4.5 cr]; Samuel Badree [Rs 30 lakh]; Faf du Plessis [rs 4.75 cr - Right to Match card used]; Mohit Sharma [Rs 2 cr]; Ashish Nehra [Rs 2 cr]; Ben Hilfenhaus [Rs 1 cr]; Matt Henry [Rs 30 lakh]
- Retained: Rohit Sharma, Harbhajan Singh, Kieron Pollard, Lasith Malinga, Ambati Rayudu
- Bought: Pragyan Ojha [Rs 3.25 crore - used RTM]; Corey Anderson [Rs 4.5 cr]; Michael Hussey [Rs 5 cr]; Zaheer Khan [Rs 2.6 cr]; Josh Hazlewood [Rs 50 lakh]
Kolkata Knight Riders
- Retained: Gautam Gambhir, Sunil Narine
- Bought: Vinay Kumar [Rs 2.8 cr]; Yusuf Pathan [Rs 3.25 cr - RTM]; Jacques Kallis [Rs 5.5 cr - RTM]; Piyush Chawla [Rs 4.25 cr]; Morne Morkel [Rs 2.80 cr]; Shakib Al Hasan [Rs 2.80 cr]; Umesh Yadav [Rs 2.6 cr]; Robin Uthappa [Rs 5 cr]
Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Retained: Chris Gayle, Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers
- Bought: Yuvraj Singh [Rs 14 cr]; Mitchell Starc [Rs 5 cr]; Albie Morkel [Rs 2.4 cr]; Parthiv Patel [Rs 1.4 cr]; Ashok Dinda [Rs 1.5 cr]; Muttiah Muralitharan [Rs 1 cr]; Ravi Rampaul [Rs 90 lakh]; Nic Maddinson [Rs 50 lakh]; Varun Aaron [Rs 2 cr]
Kings XI Punjab
- Retained: David Miller, Manan Vohra
- Bought: Shaun Marsh [Rs 2.2 cr]; Mitchell Johnson [Rs 6.5 cr]; Cheteshwar Pujara [Rs 1.9 cr]; George Bailey [Rs 3.25 cr]; Thisara Perera [Rs 1.6 cr]; Wriddhiman Saha [Rs 2.2 cr]; Parwinder Awana [Rs 65 lakh]; Glenn Maxwell [Rs 6 cr]; Virender Sehwag [Rs 3.2 cr]; L Balaji [Rs 1.8 cr]
- Retained: None
- Bought: Saurabh Tiwary [Rs 70 lakh]; JP Duminy [Rs 2.2 cr]; Manoj Tiwary [Rs 2.8 cr]; Murali Vijay [Rs 5 cr]; Nathan Coulter-Nile [Rs 4.25 cr]; Rahul Sharma [Rs 1.9 cr]; James Neesham [Rs 1 cr]; Quinton de Kock [Rs 3.5 cr]; Jaydev Unadkat [Rs 2.8 cr]; Mohammed Shami [Rs 4.25 cr]; LR Shukla [Rs 1.5 cr]; Kevin Pietersen [Rs 9 cr - RTM]; Dinesh Karthik [Rs 12.5 cr]
- Retained: Shikhar Dhawan, Dale Steyn
- Bought: Irfan Pathan [Rs 2.4 cr]; Amit Mishra [Rs 4.75 cr - RTM]; Aaron Finch [Rs 4 cr]; Darren Sammy [Rs 3.5 cr - RTM]; Brendan Taylor [Rs 30 lakh]; Moises Henriques [Rs 1 cr]; David Warner [Rs 5.5 cr]; Ishant Sharma [Rs 2.6 cr]; Bhuvneshwar Kumar [Rs 4.25 cr]; Venugopal Rao [Rs 55 lakh]; Jason Holder [Rs 75 lakh]
- Retained: Shane Watson, Ajinkya Rahane, James Faulkner, Sanju Samson, Stuart Binny
- Bought: Abhishek Nayar [Rs 1 cr]; Ben Cutting [Rs 80 lakh]; Steven Smith [Rs 4 cr]; Kane Richardson [Rs 1 cr]; Brad Hodge [Rs 2.4 cr]; Tim Southee [Rs 1.2 cr]
ALSO SEE—Top Unsold Players