The one-year BCCI ban on three cricketers for "loose talk and unsubstantiated bragging” got over on Tuesday and one of them, Amit Yadav, confessed that in this period he learned what someone would in about 60 years.
Off-spinner Yadav, who was with Kings XI Punjab when the BCCI debarred him on May 14 last year following an internal inquiry, said he also polished his game during this period, perfecting his 'doosra' and the pull shot.
"I'm much relieved that the year is over. Since cricket is my dream, I felt like my growth was stunted all this while. I'm much wiser now and have learned a lot about life in one year, what someone would in, say, 60 years,” Yadav, 23, told Mail Today.
"I'll never make those mistakes again. Actually, I come from a backward area (Kharkhari village in Najafgarh, Delhi) and I'm not much educated. So, I didn't even pay attention to the terms and conditions of my IPL contract. But now I'll now be extra careful, and I don't blame anyone for my ban,” he said.
Yadav represents Goa in the Ranji Trophy and has bagged 41 wickets in 14 first-class matches since making his debut in the 2009-10 season.
Yadav is now looking ahead to playing competitive cricket. "I've to take out only positives from the gloomy past. I've to be positive.
Now, I've to do better next year and I'll give more than 100 per cent,” he said, looking ahead to next season.
"Apart from the nets, I worked on my body, especially improving my leg strength, in the gymnasium.
BCCI and Goa Cricket Association officials supported me throughout,” he said.
In a TV sting operation, Yadav was caught discussing his IPL contract with two reporters who posed as agents of fictitious players' management firm, Joy Khel and Masti.
BCCI appointed former CBI sleuth Ravi Sawani, who now heads the Board's anti-corruption, to inquire into the sting.
Based on Sawani's report, BCCI disciplinary committee, comprising N. Srinivasan, Arun Jaitley and Niranjan Shah, debarred five players for different periods, starting May 15. TP Sudhindra was banned for life, Shalabh Srivastava for five years and Mohnish Mishra, Abhinav Bali and Yadav for one year each.
"Those who were debarred for one year, their ban got over today,” Sawani told Mail Today. Yadav said his family, especially his father, supported him during his troubled times.
Yadav's coach Satpal Issar says he too is relieved. "Initially, I was very angry with him for uttering what he uttered.
I then told him that there are no relationships for you now, and that he should confine himself to only home and the ground. He adhered to my instructions for the entire year, and also improved his game,” Issar told Mail Today. Issar said he made Yadav polish his 'doosra', and pull and sweep shots at his GM Cricket Academy.