Kolkata/Mumbai, May 18 (ANI): With the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) banning Kolkata Knight Riders co-owner Shah Rukh Khan from entering the Wankhede Stadium for five years, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday asked the former to withdraw the ban imposed on the Bollywood actor.
"Shah Rukh Khan is the brand ambassador of West Bengal. I request the MCA authorities to reconsider their decision. He had gone to the stadium with children. There must have been some misunderstanding," said Mamata, while backing Khan in the brawl cast that took place at the Wankhede Stadium on Wednesday night.
"This is wholly a matter of the state of Maharashtra, but I will request them to reconsider their decision," she added.
MCA President Vilasrao Deshmukh earlier in the day announced that Shah Rukh Khan has been banned from entering the Wankhede Stadium for five years following his scuffle with MCA officials on Wednesday night.
He said over 50 percent MCA officials were present at the time of brawl so there was no point in forming an interim committee to look into the incident.
Shah Rukh Khan had earlier on Thursday said that he was provoked after security guards touched a group of children he was accompanying, which included his daughter.e also rubbished reports that he was drunk after the match that took place between his team the Kolkata Knight Riders and the Mumbai Indians.
The scuffle happened on Wednesday night when the actor and his entourage were stopped from going on to the ground after the match, which the Kolkata Knight Riders won. (ANI)