Scorecard | Action in images
Bangalore: After losing the first Test inside four days, questions were being raised whether the New Zealand batting line-up was good enough to handle the Indian bowling in the second Test.
At the end of the opening day in Bangalore, not only did New Zealand cope up with the bowling, they did exceedingly well to wrest the early initiative.
Martin Guptill, who scored a half-century, said that the side’s positive attitude did the trick for them.
“We discussed in the team meetings that we’ve got to play positive cricket. We executed the plans pretty well today. We hit quite a few boundaries early on in the innings and that took the load off us.
“We have to keep up the positive intent. If we put 400-450 runs on the board and attack them, then it will put pressure on India. There is a bit of swing and seam on this wicket and if we can pick up a few wickets early on, it’ll be great,” Guptill said at a press conference.
The New Zealand batsmen used the sweep shot as a ploy to counter the Indian spinners. “It’s all about execution. Sometime you may hit straight and may not get it right. Each player uses different strategy to play spin. But the important thing is to go for the shots. I think we were successful in that.”
Asked about Ross Taylor’s innings, Guptill said: “Ross showed some excellent footwork while playing spinners. He put pressure on the bowlers, forcing them to bowl some bad deliveries. His innings had a huge impact… Such kind of innings takes the pressure off the other batsmen.”
Guptill said he was disappointed with the fact that he hasn’t been able to convert the starts. “It’s a bit frustrating but that’s the way it goes. Sometimes you go on to make a big score and sometimes you fail. But I’m trying not to commit the mistakes again.”
He also said he was a little surprised to see Pragyan Ojha open the bowling. “It was quite an interesting decision… We were a bit surprised… But we were able to get over it soon.”
We executed plans well, says Guptill
Guptill, who scored a half-century, said that the side’s positive attitude did the trick for them.The Telegraph – Sat 1 Sep, 2012 11:43 AM IST
Scorecard | Action in images
Download it here.
- NEP won by 3 wkts.vs. NEPNED4th T20IFri, Jul 03, 2015Rotterdam, NetherlandsNepal in Netherlands T20 S...
- NED won by 18 runsvs. NEPNED3rd T20IThu, Jul 02, 2015Rotterdam, NetherlandsNepal in Netherlands T20 S...
- NED won by 103 runsvs. NEPNED2nd T20IWed, Jul 01, 2015Amstelveen, NetherlandsNepal in Netherlands T20 S...
- Upcoming matchvs. SABAN2nd T20ITue, Jul 07, 2015Mirpur, BangladeshSouth Africa in Bangladesh...
- vs. AUSENG1st TestWed, Jul 08, 2015Wed, Jul 08, 2015Cardiff, EnglandThe Ashes, 2015...
- vs. UAESCOMatch 1Thu, Jul 09, 2015Thu, Jul 09, 2015Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandWorld Twenty20 Qualifier, ...