It might just be a suggestion as of Monday, but the Supreme Court’s proposal that a three-member panel, headed by former justice Mukul Mudgal, be formed to examine the IPL spot-fixing issue has brought a smile to Cricket Association of Bihar secretary Aditya Verma’s face.
And he hopes Tuesday’s order will be on the same lines. Verma’s fight with the BCCI started in July when he filed a petition in the Bombay High Court questioning the clean chit given by the Board’s two-member commission- comprising former judges Jayram Chouta and R Balasubramaniam in the spot-fixing scam.
Speaking to Mail Today on Monday, Verma sounded a satisfied man as he had wanted an independent probe into the scandal from Day One.
“I am happy with the way things have panned out. My only plea to the court was that an independent probe be conducted. I didn’t have any vested interest, nor did I want any position. The way the probe was carried out by the BCCI’s two-member committee, it was clear that there was something amiss.
“How can one pass a judgment when some of BCCI’s members were themselves claiming that the Board hadn’t received all the documents from the police? It is only fair that an independent panel is formed and the Supreme Court supervises the whole affair,” he said. But what irks Verma is that BCCI’s suggestion that Nilay Dutta be included in the committee.
“Dutta is stll involved with a couple of committees of the BCCI. To have a fair probe, the members should have nothing to do with the BCCI. I will bring the matter up in the court tomorrow before they pass the order,” he said.
On the lone battle that he has fought against the bigwigs of the BCCI, Verma said:
“It definitely hasn’t been a cakewalk. I was threatened initially, but I stood my ground because I have no ulterior motive. My fight is not just for Cricket Association of Bihar but also for the cricket lovers of the country. You can’t keep misusing your position and power and get away.
“By promoting Jharkhand, the BCCI has destroyed the careers of hundreds of cricketers in Bihar? If everyone fears corrupt people, just because they are powerful, how will justice ever be served?”
Verma says stand against Board vindicatedBy Baidurjo Bhose | Mail Today – Tue 8 Oct, 2013 11:25 AM IST
Did you know that you can get stories like this on the Yahoo mail app?
Download it here.
Download it here.
- SL won by 7 wkts.vs. PAKSL2nd TestThu, Jun 25, 2015Colombo, Sri LankaPakistan in Sri Lanka Test...
- IND won by 77 runsvs. INDBAN3rd ODIWed, Jun 24, 2015Mirpur, BangladeshIndia in Bangladesh ODI Se...
- ENG won by 56 runsvs. NZENGOne-off T20ITue, Jun 23, 2015Manchester, EnglandNew Zealand in England T20...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. NEPNED1st T20ITue, Jun 30, 2015Amstelveen, NetherlandsNepal in Netherlands T20 S...
- Upcoming matchvs. NEPNED2nd T20IWed, Jul 01, 2015Amstelveen, NetherlandsNepal in Netherlands T20 S...
- vs. NEPNED3rd T20IThu, Jul 02, 2015Thu, Jul 02, 2015Amstelveen, NetherlandsNepal in Netherlands T20 S...