Washington, Jan. 30 (ANI): The ex-con wanted for attacking at least eight Asians in East Harlem has been nabbed in New Jersey Monday night.
Police said that investigators had been hunting Jason Commisso, 34, for eight attacks he carried out on Asians in January and learned he was boarding a Texas-bound bus in Newark.
According to the New York Daily News, NYPD cops worked with New Jersey State Police and searched over two Greyhound buses, and found Commisso sleeping in one of them at about 11:35 p.m., Paul Browne, the NYPD's top spokesman.
Police are also trying to trace the iPhone he was carrying to determine if it was stolen in any of the robberies.
Commisso began his spree on January 17, when he assaulted a 44-year-old woman inside an elevator, cops said.
In his last attack on January 27, Commisso allegedly beat a 57-year-old man, breaking his nose, inside an elevator in building.
All the victims he attacked were Asians, which included four men and four women.
The NYPD's Hate Crime Task Force was assigned to assist in the investigation, but it was not clear if cops believe Commisso was motivated by bias.
Sources said Commisso has 36 prior arrests that include arson, assault, robbery and drug collars, the report added. (ANI)