Mumbai, Feb 17 (ANI): Telecom operator Uninor closed its Mumbai operations from midnight on Saturday following a Supreme Court order, which said all the operators who did not win spectrum in the previous auctions should close down services immediately.
The cancellation of licences has affected 1.8 million customers in Mumbai as of December, 2012.
Sandeep, a customer, said that he was appalled when the service was disconnected as he had to face lot of problems.
"When I got up in the morning, my mobile wasn't working. There was no service in my phone. I am really troubled by this. The company should have given a notification to us before they shut the services, so that we could have switched to some other network. If they don't restore the services, I will file a case against the company," said Sandeep.
The court ordered that the cancellation of licenses should be effective immediately and no temporary license would be granted to the company.
Pradeep Karrat, another customer added that his business has got affected due to the shut down.
"This has created a lot of problem. The various contacts I had established with the people of my party people have been broken. I am not able to contact anybody. It has hampered the business I used to get through mobile. Even my clients and customers who have my number will also face problems. My business of retail market will be affected tremendously," said Karrat.
Telenor is the majority stakeholder of the Uninor. Telenor won rights to airwaves in six of those zones in an auction in November and has said it might decide to bid for spectrum in Mumbai zone in an auction due in March.
Telenor's permits in 22 zones were among those ordered to be revoked by India's Supreme Court last year after a massive scandal over the grant of cellular licences in a 2008 sale. (ANI)