It was during the third Test between India and England in Kolkata last year when Umesh Yadav was ruled out for a substantial period of time due to an injury. And as luck would have it, he is making a comeback into the Test squad at the Eden Gardens.
Having failed to live up to the expectations of the selectors — thanks to the dismal show he put up in the NKP Salve Challenger Trophy — Umesh wasn't considered for the just-concluded seven-match ODI series against Australia.
But the selectors have brought him back in the Test squad, something that Umesh wasn't expecting.
In fact, Umesh was looking to work on his game at the domestic level to get back to the scheme of things and was preparing for Vidarbha's Ranji Trophy match against Haryana on November 7, after failing to do much in the opening game against Gujarat.
"I was looking forward to our next match, which is against Haryana. I wanted to perform well in the Ranji Trophy as a successful campaign there would certainly make things easier for me," said Umesh.
The run-up to the wicket seems more sideon and when Mail Today enquired, Umesh did reveal that he has worked on action during his time away from the Indian team.
"During my stay at the National Cricket Academy (NCA), I altered some basics in my bowling in order to avoid injury. Back trouble, earlier this year, had ruled me out of the four-Test series against Australia.
"I'm trying to follow the instructions that were given to me when I was at the NCA. The injury was more due to over-work and over-bowling. So, in order to make sure that it doesn't resurface, I've altered some basics. I'm fit at present and just want to go out and express myself," the 26-year-old said.
Umesh said he wasn't too bothered even when the selectors met in Mumbai to select the squad for the two-Test series against the West Indies.
"I was not thinking about the team selection since these things are never in a player's control. My priority was to do well in the Ranji Trophy. We had already lost our first match, so it was more important to focus and ensure that we get back on track," he signed off.
Umesh hopes to justify 'unexpected' Test recall
After an injury layoff, the pacer is back with a modified, side-on action.By Baidurjo Bhose in Kolkata | Mail Today – Tue 5 Nov, 2013 8:57 AM IST
- CHE won by 7 runsvs. CHERAJMatch 10Wed, Apr 23, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- KXIP won by 72 runsvs. SRHKXIPMatch 9Tue, Apr 22, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- CHE won by 93 runsvs. DELCHEMatch 8Mon, Apr 21, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. KOLBLRMatch 11Thu, Apr 24, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. DELSRHMatch 12Fri, Apr 25, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. MUMCHEMatch 13Fri, Apr 25, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
1 - 4 of 20