South Africa topped Group D and qualified for the Super League quarter-final of the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2012 after defeating Sri Lanka by four wickets in the feature match at Peter Burge Oval in Brisbane.
South Africa bowlers Corne Dry (four for 16), Calvin Savage (two for 30) and Solo Nqweni (two for 51) shared wickets between them to skittle out Sri Lanka for 150 in 37.4 overs. In its reply, captain Chad Bowes (46) and Theunis de Bruyn (42) put on 80 runs for the third wicket as South Africa achieved the target in 33 overs.
It was South Africa's third successive victory, which means it will now feature in front of ESPN STAR Sports' HD cameras on the first day of the Super League quarter-finals on 19 August. South Africa's opponent will only be confirmed after Thursday's match between England and Nepal. The two sides go head to head at Tony Ireland Stadium in the day's only match.
The other matches of the day saw close finishes, with Ireland getting the better of Nepal in Group A by 14 runs at the Endeavour Park in Townsville, and Afghanistan holding its nerve to beat Scotland by 10 runs at the John Blanck Oval in Group B.
Group A - Ireland v Nepal, Endeavour Park, Townsville
Ireland took its first points on Wednesday with an exciting 14-run win over Nepal at Endeavour Park in Townsville.
Ireland captain George Dockrell led by example, with his left-arm spin claiming four for 22 from 10 overs, including three maidens, as Nepal's run chase was stifled in its pursuit of Ireland's 185 for eight from 50 overs.
Dockrell was named player of the match, with his captaincy skills also coming to the fore.
Nepal recovered from a shaky 69 for five to base its chase around a feisty 32 from Rahul Vishwakarma and 29 from Pradeep Airee. But it was not enough to get ahead of the asking rate, with Nepal being bowled out for 171 in the final over.
The win put Ireland in third position in the Group.
Group B - Afghanistan v Scotland, John Blanck Oval, Sunshine Coast
In the other clash of the qualifiers, Afghanistan came out on the right side with a 10-run win over Scotland on the Sunshine Coast.
Captain Javed Ahmadi (71: 76b, 8x4, 1x6) laid the foundation for Afghanistan's competitive total of 191. Afghanistan wicket-keeper Afsar Khan (44: 63b, 3x4) then steered the side after it was struggling at 132 for seven.
Scotland paceman Gavin Main finished with four for 26 from eight overs while fellow seamer Ruaidhri Smith took four for 45 from his 10 overs.
For Scotland, opener Ross Maclean (67: 109b, 4x4) played a lone hand. Afghanistan's pace duo of Sayed Shirzad (three for 33) and Aftab Alam (two for 45) ran through the Scotland line-up.
Both Scotland and Afghanistan will now head into the Plate Championship.
Scores in Brief:
Group A - Ireland beat Nepal by 14 runs, Endeavour Park, Townsville
Ireland 185 for eight, 50 overs (Shane Getkate 47, Andy McBrine 41, Tyrone Kane 39 not out; Rahul Vishvakarma 2-31, Avinash Karn 2-37, Bhuvan Karki 2-43)
Nepal 171 all out, 49.3 overs (Rahul Vishvakarma 32, Subhash Khakurel 31, Pradeep Airee 29; George Dockrell 4-22)
Player of the Match - George Dockrell (Ireland)
Group B - Afghanistan beat Scotland by 10 runs, John Blanck Oval, Buderim
Afghanistan 191 all out, 48.3 overs (Javed Ahmadi 71, Afsar Khan 44; Gavin Main 4-26, Ruaidhri Smith 4-45)
Scotland 181 all out, 49.2 overs (Ross McLean 67, Freddie Coleman 30; Sayed Shirzad 3-33, Aftab Alam 2-45)
Player of the Match - Javed Ahmadi (Afghanistan)
Group D - South Africa beat Sri Lanka by four wickets, Peter Burge Oval, Brisbane
Sri Lanka 150 all out, 37.4 overs (Pulina Tharanga 50 not out; Corne Dry 4-16, Calvin Savage 2-30, Solo Nqweni 2-51)
South Africa 153 for six, 33 overs (Chad Bowes 46, Theunis de Bruyn 42; Tharindu Kaushal 3-28, Sanitha de Mel 2-32)
Player of the Match - Corne Dry (South Africa)
U19 WC: South Africa qualify for quarter-finals
Ireland scores narrow win over Nepal; Afghanistan outlasts Scotland.Yahoo! Cricket – Wed 15 Aug, 2012 7:01 PM IST
- AFG won by 2 wkts.vs. AFGBAN2nd ODIWed, Sep 28, 2016Mirpur, BangladeshAfghanistan in Bangladesh ...
- PAK won by 8 wkts.vs. WIPAK3rd T20ITue, Sep 27, 2016Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies T2...
- AUS won by 9 wkts.vs. IREAUSOne-off ODITue, Sep 27, 2016Benoni, South AfricaAustralia vs Ireland ODI S...
- live match AUS 294/9 (50 Overs)vs. AUSSA1st ODILIVECurrent Run Rate 5.88Centurion, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- live match PAK 260/6 (44.3 Overs)vs. WIPAK1st ODILIVECurrent Run Rate 5.84Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies OD...
- live match IND 239/7 (86 Overs)vs. NZIND2nd TestLIVECurrent Run Rate 2.77Kolkata, IndiaNew Zealand in India Test ...
- Upcoming matchvs. AFGBAN3rd ODISat, Oct 01, 2016Mirpur, BangladeshAfghanistan in Bangladesh ...
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSSA2nd ODISun, Oct 02, 2016Johannesburg, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- Upcoming matchvs. WIPAK2nd ODISun, Oct 02, 2016Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies OD...