U.S. suspects escaped prisoners may be aiding Al Qaeda in attack on Yemen

Washington, Aug. 7 (ANI): U.S. intelligence agencies have said that several prisoners, who escaped in recent jail breakouts in the Middle East, might be aiding Al Qaeda terror group in conducting a terror strike on the American Embassy in Yemen.

Nasir al Wuhayshi, who runs the most dangerous branch of Al Qaeda, is believed to be behind the plot that involves explosive-laden truck bombs targeting U.S. missions, ABC News reports.

He is also suspected to be the mastermind behind the underwear bomb plan to bring down a U.S. aircraft.

The report further added that al Wuhayshi might get help from a large number of Al Qaeda prisoners, who have been freed from several prisons in the Middle East in past few weeks with the help of heavily armed militants.

Interpol reports there have been at least nine major prison breaks in the last month.

In Iraq, 500 jail inmates were freed, including 50 Al Qaeda militants.

In Libya, more than 1,000 prisoners were freed from a jail in Benghazi.

Another Taliban jailbreak in Pakistan freed nearly 250 convicts.

Michael Chertoff, former secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, said that the prisoners could possibly be suicide bombers or become combatants with bomb-making capabilities.

After the State Department ordered the evacuation of all non-essential personnel from Yemen because of an increased terror threat, a U.S. military cargo plane helped evacuate staff from the U.S. Embassy.

The U.S. Air Force airlifted almost all of the personnel with the help of a C-17 aircraft to Germany, leaving behind only the most essential employees. (ANI)

Matches