Islamabad, Jan 28 (IANS) At least eight labourers died of suffocation and two fainted Monday when toxic gas accumulated in a coal mine in Pakistan's southwest city of Loralai, a media report said.
The deaths took place when 10 people working in a coal mine went unconscious in Dakki area of Loralai, a main city in the country's southwest province of Balochistan. reported Xinhua citing Dunya TV.
Those who fainted were taken to a nearby hospital where eight of them were confirmed dead.
According to initial reports by rescue teams, the labourers died oafter inhaling accumulated toxic methane gas in the mine due to lack of proper ventilation system in the shaft.
Deaths due to accumulation of gas in coal mines are common in Balochistan province, where safety measures are lacking.