A woman was brutally gang raped by six people Dec 16, 2012 night in a moving private bus which she and her male friend boarded in south Delhi. A juvenile accused was Saturday sentenced to three-year stay in a special home by the Juvenile Justice Board. Here is a timeline of major developments in the case:
* Dec 16, 2012: A 23-year-old physiotherapy student raped by six people, including a juvenile, inside a moving bus.
* Dec 17: Bus Driver Ram Singh and two other accused arrested.* Dec 18: Protests over the incident, crowds clash with police in central Delhi. Fourth accused arrested.
* Dec 19: Two accused brought before a Delhi court. Accused Vinay tell court to "hang him".
* Dec 21: Fifth accused, who claims to be 17-and-a-half-years old, arrested from Anand Vihar in east Delhi.
* Accused Akshay Kumar Singh arrested from Bihar.
* Dec 22: Gang rape victim records statement before a sub-divisional magistrate.
* Dec 23: Fast track court set up by the Delhi High Court.
* Dec 24: The government announces setting up of a committee to suggest amendments in law for speedy trials and enhanced punishment for criminals in rape cases.
* Dec 27: The victim is airlifted to Singapore for treatment.
* Dec 29: She succumbs to her injuries at in Singapore hospital.
* Dec 30: Gang rape victim flown back to Delhi, cremated.
* Jan 3, 2013: A case of rape, murder, kidnapping, destruction of evidence, and attempted murder filed against all the five accused in the case.
* Jan 7: Court orders in-camera trial.
* Jan 10: Five accused get lawyers for defence.
* Jan 28: Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) declares that one of the six accused is a minor.
* Feb 2: Fast track court paves the way for trial and charges five men for murder, gang rape and other offences.
* Feb 3: The Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance, 2013, passed by Lok Sabha March 19 and Rajya Sabha March 21.
* Feb 5: Trial begins in the case and court records statements of accused.
* March 11: Accused Ram Singh found hanging in his Tihar jail cell.
* May 17: Victim's mother appears as a prosecution witness before the trial court and says "give justice to my daughter".* June 14: Juvenile accused turns 18 in custody. Age calculated according to school certificate.
* July 11: JJB in New Delhi defers verdict on minor accused to July 25.
* July 25: JJB defers verdict on minor accused till Aug 5.
* Aug 22: The Supreme Court allowed the juvenile board to go ahead with pronouncing its verdict after accepting BJP leader Subramanian Swamy's plea for a fresh interpretation of the term juvenile.
* Aug 31: Juvenile Justice Board sentences minor accused to a three-year stay in a special home.