Coco Chanel, the goddess of style herself, once remarked that fashion changes but style endures.
In exploring the horizons of what defines great style, Yahoo! India and I will take you on a tour of the most delectable items on the #desiremap.
This week, lets take a beginner's look at luxury fashion essentials. What is luxury? Put simply, and in the words of Ms. Chanel - “Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity.”
Simplicity, elgegance and beauty should characterise design, form and function. From the world aroud us, the streets to our shoes, these are the markers of style. In whirlwind lifestyles and split-second uploads, first impressions are made quicker than ever. And your style is what speaks first, and loudest. "Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.” No points for guessing who said that.
So here are 5 fashion essentials to get you started. Begin with the basics, and as we go along, we'll build you a sense of style you didn't know you had. Watch this space for an exciting new Style Guide every week.
1. A Red Velvet Nawab Jacket: Made with cotton velvet and embellished with metallic silver buttons, the Nawab jacket's structured shoulders and firm collar line is guaranteed to add an air of distinguished elegance to anyone wearing it. Perfect for the festive or wedding season, it should be an essential part of every discerning man's wardrobe. The Nawab is also available in a sleeveless version and in black cashmere.
Available at Canali stores around the country.
2. The limited edition Etro India Jacket: Available in 4 editions in Indian boutiques only, this jacket is an essential addition to the stylish man's collection. Ranging from deep black and brown printed velvet paisleys to midnight blue, these jackets are edgy and bold, for the man who isn't afraid to use a bit of pop and print.
Available at Etro stores around the country.
3. The Jimmy Choo Chandra: An evening clutch that adds a dash of Hollywood glamour to any ensemble, the Chandra is a casual evening bag enfolded in pale gold bands with a magnetic clasp. The perfect accessory to a special evening, ladies, it will add that subtle sparkle to lift everything from an LBD to a colourful lehenga.
Available at Jimmy Choo stores around the country.
4. The Bottega Veneta Knot: The rounded box clutch is an icon in the fashion world, recognized universally by its singular design and exquisite craftsmanship. New editions of the Knot range from understated grace to extravagant luxury, but every interpretation holds true to the integrity of the original, making it an essential for the fashionista.
Available at Bottega stores around the country.
5. The Louis Vuitton Speedy Bandouliere Bag: LV has long been a brand to aspire for, but the Speedy takes LV design to a whole new level of chic. Simplicity and style combined with the classic LV monogram make it a perfect bag for the city. Take her to work or out for an evening of cocktails with the girls, and the Speedy will be soon become your fashion staple.
Available in LV stores across the country.
6. The Ferragamo Varina: Made of patent leather, these glossy ballerinas take fashion detailing all the way to your toes. Available in a range of bright, happy colours, these flats keep it casual but ensure your style quotient is through the roof. Dress up your weekends with a light summer dress and these pretty ballerinas, and you're ready to take on the town.
Available in Ferragamo stores around the country.
Enjoyed this week's Style Guide? Drop in a line in the comments box and tell us what you think.