Terror strike near Indian consulate an assault on Indo-Afghan ties: MEA

New Delhi, Aug. 3 (ANI): The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Saturday said the suicide bombing attack near the Indian consulate in Jalalabad was an assault on Indo-Afghan friendship and Afghan society.

MEA spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin confirmed that though there were no Indian causalities, several innocent lives fell victim to the terrorist attack earlier today.

"While there were no Indian causalities, it led to the loss of several innocent lives. We deeply regret the loss of these innocent lives. This indicates that the attack was not only on the Indian consulate or on Indo-Afghan relationship and friendship, but also on Afghan society. As we are all aware the international community has fought against the scourge of terrorism in Afghanistan and this was yet another manifestation of that threat," said Akbaruddin.

Akbaruddin added that the Government of India will continue to work with the Afghan Government, as before, with full intent to wipe out terrorism in Afghanistan. He also assured that India would do everything to keep its foreign consulate safe.

"We will continue to work with the Afghan government as neighbour and good friend and try and wipe out this scourge of terrorism from Afghanistan. As for our own consulate, we keep its security under constant review and will take necessary and adequate measures," Akbaruddin added.

Earlier today, three suicide bombers attempted an attack near the Indian consulate in Jalalabad. Media reports have suggested that at least six people had been killed and about 22 injured.

According to the BBC, gunfire was heard soon after the blast which took place at around 10 a.m. local time.

Jalalabad has frequently been the target of Taliban attacks, including a bomb blast at the airport last year.

The explosion is said to have taken place about 15-20 meters from the consulate, which suffered some damage. (ANI)

Matches