NEW DELHI: The recently retired Sachin Tendulkar is set to become the first sportsperson to be awarded the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour.
Tendulkar will be conferred with the honour along with acclaimed scientist Professor CNR Rao, on the upcoming Republic Day next year.
An official PMO release called Tendulkar "an outstanding cricketer - a living legend who has inspired millions across the globe".
"During the last 24 years, since the young age of 16 years, Shri Tendulkar has played cricket across the world and won laurels for our country. He has been a true ambassador of India in the world of sports.
His achievements in cricket are unparalleled, the records set by him unmatched, and the spirit of sportsmanship displayed by him exemplary. That he has been honoured with several awards is testimony to his extraordinary brilliance as a sportsman," said the release.
ALSO SEE—'Chase your dreams, don't use shortcuts': Tendulkar's emotional speech
Tendulkar, who called time from all forms of cricket on Saturday after his 200th Test match against the West Indies at his home ground, the Wankhede Stadium, was expected to be awarded the honour after it emerged that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had recommended his name to President Pranab Mukherjee a few days ago.
Other influential names who allegedly pitched for the Little Master include Parliamentary Affairs Minister Rajeev Shukla, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan.
The rules for awarding the Bharat Ratna were modified a few years ago to include sportspersons and not just artistes and personnel from the fields of art, literature, science and public services.
The Board Cricket for Cricket in India (BCCI) welcomed the announcement.
"Tendulkar is an inspirational figure, and a role model for all sportspersons. He richly deserves the Bharat Ratna. I extend my heartiest congratulations to him," said BCCI president N. Srinivasan.
"He is the most deserving person. I congratulate the government for this decision. The timing is also right. His records cannot be broken for the next 100 years," added BCCI vice-president Rajeev Shukla.
FULL COVERAGE: Farewell, Sachin
Match Report | Photos | Scores
Reactions: 'Tendulkar is all that exudes good'
Tendulkar wows Wankhede one last time
Bharat Ratna awarded to Tendulkar, the first for a sportsperson
The Indian government gives the master batsman the perfect goodbye gift—the country's highest civilian honour.Yahoo Cricket – Sat 16 Nov, 2013 4:10 PM IST
- vs. WIPAK2nd T20ISat, Sep 24, 2016Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies T2...
- PAK won by 9 wkts.vs. WIPAK1st T20IFri, Sep 23, 2016Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs West Indies T2...
- SCO won by 53 runsvs. HKSCO2nd ODISat, Sep 10, 2016Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandHong Kong in Scotland ODI ...
- live match IND 310/5 (95.3 Overs)vs. NZIND1st TestLIVENZ 262/10; IND 318/10;Kanpur, IndiaNew Zealand in India Test ...
- vs. IRESAOne-off ODISun, Sep 25, 2016Benoni, South AfricaIreland in South Africa OD...
- Upcoming matchvs. AFGBAN1st ODISun, Sep 25, 2016Mirpur, BangladeshAfghanistan in Bangladesh ...
- vs. IREAUSOne-off ODITue, Sep 27, 2016Tue, Sep 27, 2016Benoni, South AfricaAustralia vs Ireland ODI S...