String of bombings in Balochistan kills 93, injures over 150

Islamabad, Jan. 11 (ANI): At least 93 people were killed and over 150 injured in a string of bombings that took place in Balochistan's capital city of Quetta.

Home Secretary Akbar Hussain Durrani said that a suicide bomber detonated the explosives inside a crowded snooker club on Alamdar Road, a Shia-dominated neighbourhood of Quetta. Fifteen minutes later, another explosion went off outside the club as police, mediapersons and rescuers rushed to the site, he added.

Terror outfit Lashkar-e-Jhangvi claimed responsibility for the blast and said their target was the Hazara community, reports The Express Tribune.

A spokesperson for the militant group said that the first one was a suicide blast and the second was a planted bomb.

According to DGP Hamid Shakeel, most of the casualties were caused by the second blast.

The dead and injured were driven to the Civil Hospital where a state of emergency was declared. Dozens of injured are in critical condition, medics said, adding that the death toll could rise.

After the Alamdar Road blast, there were two more blasts on Prince Road, which is part of the commercial district of Quetta.

Earlier in the day, a massive bomb went off near a paramilitary checkpoint at a busy roundabout of Quetta, killing around a dozen people, including a paramilitary soldier, and injuring 40 others.

The United Baloch Army (UBA), an insurgent group, claimed responsibility for the blast which took place in Bacha Khan Chowk, the commercial district of the provincial capital.

The explosion destroyed at least 15 vehicles, three of them belonging to the FC, and 10 nearby shops. An explosives expert said the bomb weighed around 20 to 30 kilograms. (ANI)

--

Did you know that you can get stories like this on the Yahoo mail app?
Download it here.

Matches