While a number of bowlers shone in the sixth edition of the Indian Premier League, Mohit Sharma stood out with his accuracy and ability to contain batsmen even in the shortest format of the game.
Having scalped 20 wickets from 15 games, not only did he impress critics, but also the national selectors.
And when the selectors met on Friday to pick the ODI team for India’s tour to Zimbabwe, Mohit was rewarded with his maiden national call- up. Speaking to Mail Today, the Haryana and Chennai Super Kings pacer agreed that his outing in the IPL and interacting with MS Dhoni helped him evolve as a player.
“I am elated and I wasn’t really expecting the call-up. My stint in the IPL really helped. Dhoni bhai helped me a lot and showed a lot of faith in me. Interacting with him and getting to train with international players changed my outlook and approach towards my game. Being around quality players has helped me mature as a cricketer and will help me in my career,” he said.
When asked what his plan would be going into the series against Zimbabwe, Mohit said: “I have always tried to focus on my game and the approach will once again be the same.” Ashwini Kumar, Haryana’s coach, too feels that consistency is Mohit’s forte. “I have seen many bowlers looking to experiment and ending up erring in line and length. But with Mohit, he relies on his strength and that is bowling the out-swingers and maintaining good pace. He hardly lets anything affect his focus,” he told Mail Today.
Stint with Dhoni helped MohitBy Baidurjo Bose | Mail Today – Sat 6 Jul, 2013 8:55 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- SL won by 6 wkts.vs. SLENGSuper League QF 3Sun, Feb 07, 2016Mirpur, BangladeshUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- IRE won by 6 wkts.vs. IRECANPlate Championship PSun, Feb 07, 2016xxx-xxx-xxx, xxx-xxx-xxxUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- IRE won by 7 runsvs. IREPNG2nd T20ISun, Feb 07, 2016Townsville, AustraliaIreland vs Papua New Guine...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSNZ3rd ODIMon, Feb 08, 2016Hamilton, New ZealandChappell-Hadlee Trophy, 20...
- Upcoming matchvs. SCOFIJPlate Championship PMon, Feb 08, 2016xxx-xxx-xxx, xxx-xxx-xxxUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- Upcoming matchvs. PAKWISuper League QF 4Mon, Feb 08, 2016Fatullah, BangladeshUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...