Australia dominated another day’s play of Test cricket against India on Saturday. First, Nathan Lyon picked up eight wickets for 50 runs and helped the visitors to bundle India out for just 189 runs in the first innings and then Australia ended day one of the second Test at 40/0.
Nathan Lyon recorded his career-best figures in Test cricket and also the best figures by any visiting bowler in India.
It has been 38 years since two Indian batsmen were dismissed stumped in one innings and Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane have been dismissed by Nathan Lyon for five times in Test cricket.
Take a look at the records that were set on day one of the second Test between India and Australia at Bengaluru.
- 6.25 | Cheteshwar Pujara's strike-rate against Mitchell Starc in the first innings of the Bengaluru Test. Pujara scored a solitary run off the 16 deliveries he faced from the Australian left-arm fast bowler.
- 1 | Ajinkya Rahane was dismissed ‘stumped’ for the first time in his Test career. In Test matches in the 2016-17 home season, Rahane has been dismissed by spinners on 11 occasions (in a total of 16 innings).
- 38 | Years since two Indian batsmen were dismissed ‘stumped’ in a Test innings against Australia. Before Ajinkya Rahane and Karun Nair were stumped in Bengaluru, Dilip Vengsarkar and GR Viswanath were dismissed ‘stumped’ in the 1979-80 Delhi Test against Australia.
- 8-50 | Nathan Lyon recorded his career best figures in Test cricket. Lyon's 8-50 were also the best figures by an Australian in Test matches against India. Lyon's returns were also the best figures by any visiting team bowler in Test matches in India.
- 58 | Wickets taken by Nathan Lyon in Test matches against India – most by an Australian in Tests against India. Lyon went past Brett Lee's tally of 53 Test wickets, which was previously the most by an Australian in Tests against India.
- 29 | Test matches since Nathan Lyon last took a Test five-for. His last five-wicket haul was against India too, at Adelaide in December 2014.
- 5 | Number of times Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane have been dismissed by Nathan Lyon in Test cricket – the most they have been dismissed by a single bowler. England's James Anderson too has dismissed Virat Kohli on five occasions in Tests.
- 56 | Number of Test matches missed by Abhinav Mukund between Test appearances. Before his comeback against Australia in Bengaluru, Mukund's last Test appearance was against England in August 2011.
- 5 | Number of different opening partners for KL Rahul in his 15-match Test career. Before partnering with Abhinav Mukund at the top of the innings in Bengaluru, Rahul also opened the batting with Murali Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Cheteshwar Pujara and Parthiv Patel as his opening partners.
- 17 | Years since two Karnataka players (KL Rahul and Karun Nair) were involved in a partnership in a Test match at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru. The last Karnataka pair to bat together in a Test match in Bengaluru was Javagal Srinath and Anil Kumble, against South Africa in March 2000.
- 90 | KL Rahul's score – the second highest by a Karnataka batsman in Test matches in Bengaluru. Only GR Viswanath's 161* against Australia in 1979 stands above KL Rahul's performance. His namesake, Rahul Dravid, who was another Bengaluru-lad, only managed a highest score of 60 runs in Test matches in Bengaluru.