Standby opener Vijay wants to make this opportunity count

New Delhi, Nov. 6 -- Tamil Nadu opener, M Vijay, has donned the whites for India whenever Virender Sehwag or Gautam Gambhir has not been available in the last four years.

But things could change this time, or in the near future, for the recalled opener as the Delhi duo has struggled to give India bright starts for some time now.

While India are certain to start their campaign against England with the tried and tested pair, further failures could force the selectors to look for other options.

Vijay would not comment on his prospects but it's clear he, along with Ajinkya Rahane and Abhinav Mukund, would be the frontrunners as replacements.

For now, he's happy with the recall. "I am glad and am looking forward to do my best as and when I get the opportunity," he said.

Vijay got a golden opportunity when both Sehwag and Gambhir skipped the West Indies tour last year.

But he suffered a hand injury while batting at the nets in Sabina Park before the first Test and never managed to click in the series, also his last for India.

He wasn't too hopeful this time despite his 266 in the Irani Cup. "I really can't say I was expecting a call. I just do my job to the best of my abilities. But I am really pleased with my selection," he told HT.

He expects the series to be close. "They are the world's number 2 side and would be raring to do well. But we are a good side too and it should be a great contest."

Published by HT Syndication with permission from Hindustan Times.