Sreesanth on Monday opposed the plea of Delhi Police seeking cancellation of bail granted to him in the IPL spot-fixing scandal case.
Sreesanth, who was slapped with a life ban by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for spot-fixing, submitted before a Delhi court that the allegations levelled against him by the police were completely false. He also argued that the allegations do not prove his involvement with the organised crime syndicate.
In his written reply filed before the court, Sreesanth also questioned the jurisdiction of the special cell of Delhi Police in probing the case saying that the “lopsided” investigation was motivated and malicious.
He claimed that the materials that have been relied upon by the police, seeking cancellation of his bail, were flimsy and there were no evidence to prove that he had communicated with any alleged bookie or members of the purported crime syndicate.
He alleged that the cricket matches, which were claimed to be fixed, were played in Mohali while he was arrested by the Delhi Police from Mumbai.
Sreesanth also said that although Mumbai Police had lodged a separate case in this matter, he was not named as an accused there.
“Under these circumstances, the unilateral and lopsided investigation undertaken by the special cell, which, by all accounts, is motivated and malicious, has been rendered suspect and wholly without jurisdiction,” he submitted in his reply filed before additional sessions judge Dharmesh Sharma.
Sreesanth said he was granted bail on June 10 by a court which had observed that there was no material to associate him with any organised crime syndicate or his involvement in any unlawful activity under MCOCA. The police had filed an application seeking cancellation of bail granted to Sreesanth and 20 others,including suspended cricketer Ankeet Chavan, in the case.
The matter will again come for hearing before the court on October 25.
Hall of Shame
A cricketer without a name
Sreesanth accuses police of framing himMail Today – Tue 8 Oct, 2013 11:23 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- PAK won by 29 runsvs. PAKSL1st T20IThu, Jul 30, 2015Colombo, Sri LankaPakistan in Sri Lanka T20 ...
- SL won by 165 runsvs. PAKSL5th ODISun, Jul 26, 2015Hambantota, Sri LankaPakistan in Sri Lanka ODI ...
- vs. SCONEDFinalMatch abandonedSun, Jul 26, 2015Malahide, Dublin, IrelandWorld Twenty20 Qualifier, ...
- Upcoming matchvs. PAKSL2nd T20ISat, Aug 01, 2015Colombo, Sri LankaPakistan in Sri Lanka T20 ...
- vs. NZZIM1st ODISun, Aug 02, 2015Sun, Aug 02, 2015Harare, ZimbabweNew Zealand in Zimbabwe OD...
- vs. NZZIM2nd ODITue, Aug 04, 2015Tue, Aug 04, 2015Harare, ZimbabweNew Zealand in Zimbabwe OD...