In January, there was a proposal made in the US to curtail the freedom of the Internet by clamping down on sites, which did not possess copyright for the content that they carried. SOPA or Stop Online Privacy Act was a piece of legislation proposed by House Judiciary Committee Chair Representative Lamar S. Smith (R-TX).
It sought that the U.S. Department of Justice and copyright holders take legal action against these websites. If SOPA had to come into effect, both search engines and advertisers would have blocked out websites that published copyrighted material.
This was seen as an act of censorship and weakening the freedom the Internet. Reaction to SOPA was immediate and fierce. Google put a black box asking users to write in and protest the Act, while Wikipedia blackened its English language sites. Other internet giants who oppose SOPA are Facebook, Zynga and Twitter. After the intense protests against SOPA, all plans to draft the bill was indefinitely rescinded.
Top Tech Stories of the Year
- 齊心祝禱，平安歸來！（教育部因應高雄美濃0206地震應變處置與災損統計說明）公共消息 - Sun 7 Feb, 2016 2:33 PM IST
- 教育部因應高雄美濃0206地震應變處置與災損統計說明公共消息 - Sun 7 Feb, 2016 10:02 AM IST
- 教育部因應高雄美濃0206地震應變處置與各級學校災損統計說明公共消息 - Sat 6 Feb, 2016 9:44 AM IST
- 教育部追頒張榮發董事長一等教育專業獎章公共消息 - Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:03 AM IST
- 工具人畢生最大的謊言社會觀察 - Mon 4 Jan, 2016 1:39 PM IST
- 反擊紫光，要靠「台灣少年兵」！社會觀察 - Wed 16 Dec, 2015 1:53 PM IST
- 一個陸生眼中的台灣—寫在「我從未向你們乞討之後」社會觀察 - Thu 10 Dec, 2015 2:12 PM IST
- 「馬習會」效應才剛開始社會觀察 - Sun 8 Nov, 2015 6:55 AM IST
- 台北市「淹水地圖」只做了一半，實情其實更嚴重！專家：再不硬起來都更，天龍國恐變「海龍國」社會觀察 - Thu 1 Oct, 2015 12:53 PM IST
- 教育部配合104年國家防災日系列活動，舉辦各級學校地震避難掩護演練活動公共消息 - Mon 21 Sep, 2015 8:28 AM IST
- 美元利率動向 牽動全球股匯市走勢社會觀察 - Fri 28 Aug, 2015 9:07 AM IST
- 一歪入魂社會觀察 - Fri 14 Aug, 2015 2:11 PM IST
- 烏來的崩毀 不是天災是人禍？社會觀察 - Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:00 AM IST
- 台灣人必須譴責岩里政男的釣魚臺妄論社會觀察 - Tue 28 Jul, 2015 1:08 PM IST
- 邁向頂尖大學計畫─紮根基礎科學．躍昇國際舞臺成果發表會公共消息 - Mon 6 Jul, 2015 9:46 AM IST
Trudging through the trail of 2012 tech stories and yanking out the best was an onerous task. After much scrutiny, we have unearthed the absolute best.By Nelson Moses | Yahoo! India News – Mon 26 Nov, 2012 12:10 PM IST
From shaking up the very foundations of the Indian government to stirring up unseemly controversies, from showing incredible courage in the face of extreme adversities to losing a reputation built over years of hard work in just a blink of an eye, from setting the electoral hustings afire with golden speeches to getting into trouble for not speaking at all, there were many 'newsmakers' in 2012 who caught the common man's imagination. Some made it for stellar reasons, others for all there is wrong with the society. Here are 12 'newsmakers' that deserve a mention. More »
Trying to pick twelve travel destinations in India is a little like choosing the twelve best feathers on a peacock’s train, but pick we must. The most dramatic phenomenon we’ve observed in 2012 is the rising number of Indians choosing their own country for a great holiday. At one end of the spectrum, they are hitchhiking and backpacking. At the other they are patronising the most luxurious hotels and resorts once reserved for tourists brandishing wads of foreign exchange. Keen to experiment, they are experiencing everything from scuba-diving to cycling. Many are taking to wildlife and landscape photography with a passion. Here’s our selection of the 12 most captivating Indian holiday destinations of 2012. Feel free to argue but, most importantly, get up and pack! More »
It was an eventful year in the world of finance and business, one that actively involved all three actors: the government, people and even the common man. From violent employee agitations to controversial reform proposals and volatile economic indicators, we compile the twelve defining news events of 2012. More »