Criticism of a first-day pitch with many cracks and variable bounce from a visiting batsman is no surprise, especially when the score at stumps reads 231/ 8.
Australia's Steven Smith followed the script on Friday, but watered it down a bit.
"It's not the Day One wicket I am used to playing on. It's broken up pretty early. It'll get tougher and tougher to bat on throughout this match. [A score of] 231 at the end of Day One is not a bad day for us.
Hopefully, we can add another 50 runs tomorrow. It's going to be quite a competitive first innings score,” Smith said.
Regarding the failure of the middleorder to put up any resistance against the Indian spinners, Smith said: "The guys have worked very hard, prepared and had their game plan. In these conditions, it's a tough place to bat for us. Sometimes your game plan does not work in such conditions.”
Smith has been an unlikely hero for the Aussies, scoring 92 in Mohali and 46 here, and asked about the mantra for his success, he said: "I spent a lot of time in the nets in the first two Tests. It's about surviving first and then score runs.”
For his part, Ravichandran Ashwin said he didn't really consider India's inability to get the Aussie lower order out in a jiffy as a 'problem'. "They have batted pretty well and we have to stick to our guns. Look at [James] Pattinson — he averages over 30. The era where you came and slogged and got out is over,” he said.
Asked about the difference between the rank turner prepared for the first Test in Chennai and this pitch, Ashwin said: "The difference is in the soil. It is pretty evident that black soil [Delhi] doesn't bounce as much as red soil [Chennai].”
Smith feels Australia have done well on crumbling pitch
Aussie batsman says it'll get tougher to bat on Kotla wicket.By Shreyas Sharma | Mail Today – Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:02 AM IST
- AUS won by 95 runsvs. INDAUS2nd Semi FinalThu, Mar 26, 2015Sydney, AustraliaWorld Cup Coverage...
- NZ won by 4 wkts.vs. SANZ1st Semi FinalTue, Mar 24, 2015Auckland, New ZealandWorld Cup Coverage...
- NZ won by 143 runsvs. WINZ4th Quarter FinalSat, Mar 21, 2015Wellington, New ZealandWorld Cup Coverage...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. NZAUSFinalSun, Mar 29, 2015Melbourne, AustraliaWorld Cup Coverage...
- vs. MUMKOLMatch 1Wed, Apr 08, 2015Wed, Apr 08, 2015Kolkata, IndiaIndian Premier League, 201...
- vs. DELCHEMatch 2Thu, Apr 09, 2015Thu, Apr 09, 2015Chennai, IndiaIndian Premier League, 201...