Scorecard | Action in Images
Mumbai, (IANS): Pune Warriors started their Indian Premier League (IPL) campaign with a 29-run win over title favourites Mumbai Indians at the Wankhede Stadium on Friday.
Asked to bat first, Pune Warriors made 129 for nine in 20 overs. Mumbai Indians lost wickets at regular intervals and could manage only 100 for nine in reply. Pacer Ashok Dinda was the pick of the Pune Warriors bowlers, bagging four for 17.
Pune Warriors, who are in their second IPL season, made a poor start but crucial innings from Man of the Match Steve Smith (39) and Robin Uthappa (36) helped them to post a modest target on the board.
Pune Warriors lost their top three batsmen for 27 runs in five overs. Lasith Malinga set the ball rolling, removing Manish Pandey, who didn't trouble the scorers, in the very first over.
Captain Sourav Ganguly (3), leading the Pune Warriors for the first time, was stumped by Dinesh Karthik after he came down the track to charge Mumbai Indians skipper Harbhajan Singh while Wayne Parnell (11), surprisingly promoted up the order, in his zeal to up the ante lost his leg stump to pacer Munaf Patel.
Callum Ferguson (12) looked in touch but he was run out by direct throw from Rohit Sharma as Pune Warriors were reduced to 47 for four in 8.5 overs.
Smith and Uthappa then resurrected the innings with their 44-run stand on a slow turner to bring Pune back on track. Uthappa hit three fours in his 33 ball knock. Kieron Pollard took an easy catch off his own bowling to get rid of Uthappa.
A cameo from Murali Kartik (14) and a few lusty blows from Smith in the death overs catapulted the Warriors to a fighting score of 129.
Mumbai had the worst possible start to their chase as they lost three wickets in the space of two overs with just five runs on board.
South African big hitter Richard Levi, who hit a half-century in the opening match against Chennai Super Kings, didn't trouble the scorers and was stumped by Uthappa off spinner Murali Kartik.
In the next over, Dinda struck twice to get rid of Ambati Rayudu (1) and Rohit (1) to make things worse for Mumbai Indians.
Dinesh Karthik (32) played a gritty hand as he forged a 49 run partnership with New Zealand all-rounder James Franklin (32). Karthik though fell soon, stumped off the bowling of his namesake Murali Kartik, after bringing Mumbai back in the chase.
Franklin (32) carried on and kept Mumbai in the hunt, but after the fall of West Indian Kieron Pollard (8), the writing was on the wall.
Mumbai needing 45 off the last three over could mange only 15 runs as they slumped to their first loss in the tournament.
Smith, Dinda star in Warriors' win over Mumbai
Pacer Ashok Dinda picked four wickets to help Pune Warriors humble title favourites Mumbai Indians at Wankhede.Yahoo! Cricket – Fri 6 Apr, 2012 10:02 AM IST
- ENG won by 5 runsvs. AUSENGOne-off T20IMon, Aug 31, 2015Cardiff, EnglandAustralia in England T20 S...
- AUS won by 23 runsvs. AUSIREOne-off ODIThu, Aug 27, 2015Stormont, Belfast, IrelandAustralia in Ireland ODI S...
- SA won by 62 runsvs. NZSA3rd ODIWed, Aug 26, 2015Durban, South AfricaNew Zealand in South Afric...
- live match SL 67/3 (18.1 Overs)vs. INDSL3rd TestLIVEIND 312/10,274/10; SL 201/10;Colombo, Sri LankaIndia in Sri Lanka Test Se...
- vs. AUSENG1st ODIThu, Sep 03, 2015Thu, Sep 03, 2015Southampton, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...
- vs. AUSENG2nd ODISat, Sep 05, 2015Sat, Sep 05, 2015London, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...
- vs. AUSENG3rd ODITue, Sep 08, 2015Tue, Sep 08, 2015Manchester, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...