Calcutta: Sachin Tendulkar’s poor run of form will give his critics a chance to bring out their knives, feels former India captain Sunil Gavaskar.
Airing his views during a television channel programme, Gavaskar also said that the selectors would “probably” have a word with The Master to know about his future plans.
“Sachin has been playing for so long and he has been so consistent... This little period of lack of runs, or lack of half-centuries, will give the critics chance to ask questions. But at the end of the day, it is the selectors who will take the call. I think the selectors will probably have a word with Sachin about what his future plans are and then take a call,” he said.
He, however, reminded that Tendulkar will make his own decision. “Ideally, whatever decision is taken about Sachin’s retirement, I believe he will make his own decision,” he said.
Tendulkar has scored just 29 runs in three innings in the ongoing Test series against England. Gavaskar thinks that the icon has been having a “long bad patch”, though he was trying hard to come out of this.
“Yes, he is struggling and he is having a long bad patch, if one can call that way... With so may runs and so many centuries at his credit, the moment he is through a lean patch, everybody will start talking about that… But I feel he will overcome this."
“He is trying hard... In the first innings (of the ongoing second Test in Mumbai), the ball (from Monty Panesar) turned just a little bit… Today (in the second innings), you could see he changed his guard. He was standing ahead of the crease, between the middle and off, to negotiate the turn better… But unfortunately he was out to a straighter ball,” Gavaskar explained.
“But, we saw he was applying his mind... It’s not that he will just go out in the middle and play. He is trying hard to overcome the problem and that is the best part,” Gavaskar said.
Selectors may have a chat with Tendulkar: Gavaskar
Tendulkar has scored just 29 runs in three innings in the ongoing Test series against England.The Telegraph – Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:14 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- ENG wickets (By Super Over)vs. ENGPAK3rd T20IMon, Nov 30, 2015Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesEngland vs Pakistan T20 Se...
- AFG won by 12 runsvs. OMNAFG2nd T20IMon, Nov 30, 2015Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Oman T20 Se...
- AUS won by 3 wkts.vs. NZAUS3rd TestFri, Nov 27, 2015Adelaide, AustraliaTrans-Tasman Trophy, 2015...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. SAIND4th TestThu, Dec 03, 2015Delhi, IndiaSouth Africa in India Test...
- vs. SLNZ1st TestWed, Dec 09, 2015Wed, Dec 09, 2015Dunedin, New ZealandSri Lanka in New Zealand T...
- vs. WIAUS1st TestThu, Dec 10, 2015Thu, Dec 10, 2015Hobart, AustraliaThe Frank Worrell Trophy, ...