Calcutta: Sachin Tendulkar’s poor run of form will give his critics a chance to bring out their knives, feels former India captain Sunil Gavaskar.
Airing his views during a television channel programme, Gavaskar also said that the selectors would “probably” have a word with The Master to know about his future plans.
“Sachin has been playing for so long and he has been so consistent... This little period of lack of runs, or lack of half-centuries, will give the critics chance to ask questions. But at the end of the day, it is the selectors who will take the call. I think the selectors will probably have a word with Sachin about what his future plans are and then take a call,” he said.
He, however, reminded that Tendulkar will make his own decision. “Ideally, whatever decision is taken about Sachin’s retirement, I believe he will make his own decision,” he said.
Tendulkar has scored just 29 runs in three innings in the ongoing Test series against England. Gavaskar thinks that the icon has been having a “long bad patch”, though he was trying hard to come out of this.
“Yes, he is struggling and he is having a long bad patch, if one can call that way... With so may runs and so many centuries at his credit, the moment he is through a lean patch, everybody will start talking about that… But I feel he will overcome this."
“He is trying hard... In the first innings (of the ongoing second Test in Mumbai), the ball (from Monty Panesar) turned just a little bit… Today (in the second innings), you could see he changed his guard. He was standing ahead of the crease, between the middle and off, to negotiate the turn better… But unfortunately he was out to a straighter ball,” Gavaskar explained.
“But, we saw he was applying his mind... It’s not that he will just go out in the middle and play. He is trying hard to overcome the problem and that is the best part,” Gavaskar said.
Selectors may have a chat with Tendulkar: Gavaskar
Tendulkar has scored just 29 runs in three innings in the ongoing Test series against England.The Telegraph – Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:14 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- ENG won by 5 wkts.vs. ENGSA2nd ODISat, Feb 06, 2016Port Elizabeth, South AfricaEngland in South Africa OD...
- IND won by 197 runsvs. NAMINDSuper League QF 2Sat, Feb 06, 2016Fatullah, BangladeshUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- AUS won by 4 wkts.vs. AUSNZ2nd ODISat, Feb 06, 2016Wellington, New ZealandChappell-Hadlee Trophy, 20...
- live match IRE 89/2 (24 Overs)vs. IRECANPlate Championship PLIVECAN 139/10;xxx-xxx-xxx, xxx-xxx-xxxUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- Upcoming matchvs. SLENGSuper League QF 3Sun, Feb 07, 2016Mirpur, BangladeshUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- Upcoming matchvs. IRECANPlate Championship PSun, Feb 07, 2016xxx-xxx-xxx, xxx-xxx-xxxUnder-19 World Cup, 2016...
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSNZ3rd ODIMon, Feb 08, 2016Hamilton, New ZealandChappell-Hadlee Trophy, 20...