Mumbai, Aug 24 (IANS) The investigation into the gang-rape of a woman photojournalist two days ago in Mumbai inched ahead as police nabbed another of the four absconding accused, taking the total arrests to two so far, an official said Saturday.
The accused, whose identity is not yet officially disclosed, was nabbed early Saturday from a video parlour in the congested Madanpura area of south central Mumbai, an official of the N.M. Joshi Marg Police, which is spearheading the probe, said.
One of the accused was nabbed Friday.
Both the men now arrested will be produced before the Bhoiwada Magistrate Court Saturday afternoon.
The second absconding accused had been holed up in the Madanpura area since Thursday night, after the gang-rape of the intern, who was at work shooting the deserted Shakti Mills Compound, near Mahalaxmi railway station. The incident left the nation stunned.
While one accused was held around noon Friday, the other four involved had been absconding.
Home Minister R.R. Patil said Friday that the case would be handled by a fast track court to ensure speedy justice to the victim.
Describing the incident as "horrific", Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh assured media people Friday that all the remaining accused would soon be arrested.
In one of the biggest manhunts launched in the city, 20 teams of local police and Crime Branch personnel have been formed to nab the remaining three absconders.
Based on accurate descriptions by the victim and her male colleague who was with her just before the crime occurred, police released sketches of the accused which have been circulated to all police stations in the city and surrounding areas.