Salman Khan to face serious charges in hit-and-run case

Mumbai, July 24 (IANS) A Mumbai sessions court ruled Wednesday that Bollywood actor Salman Khan would be tried under the stringent charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder in the 2002 hit-and-run accident.

The court said the actor will now be tried under Section 304 (III) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). If found guilty, Salman could face 10 years in prison.

The matter has been posted for further hearing Aug 16.

Earlier, Salman had been tried by a metropolitan magistrate under the less severe Section 304A of the IPC relating to rash and negligent driving, which stipulates a maximum of two years in prison.

However, the metropolitan magistrate, after examining 17 witnesses in the case, had invoked the more serious charge under Section 304 (III) of the IPC against the actor. Salman had challeged this order in the sessions court.

One person was killed and four others were injured when a Land Cruiser allegedly driven by Salman in an inebriated state ran over a group of footpath dwellers in Mumbai's Bandra suburb in the early hours of Sep 28, 2002.

--

Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.

Yahoo Cricket

Latest News

  • 'Baahubali 2' logo released

    Hyderabad, Sep 30 (IANS) The official logo of S.S Rajamouli's magnum opus "Baahubali: The Conclusion", the second and final part of the franchise, was released here on Friday. …

  • Hugh Hefner 'is fine,' rep says, debunking poor health report
    Hugh Hefner 'is fine,' rep says, debunking poor health report

    (Reuters) - Playboy founder Hugh Hefner "is fine" and enjoying life, his spokeswoman said on Friday, rebutting a report that aides of the 90-year-old publisher feared for his health. The spokeswoman noted that Hefner has suffered from back pain in recent years "that has made it a bit more challenging for him to get around, but at 90 years of age he is enjoying his life and still very involved in the day to day activities of editing the magazine." The statement followed a report in the New …

  • Chiuri at Dior targets Millennials with eclectic wardrobe
    Chiuri at Dior targets Millennials with eclectic wardrobe

    By Astrid Wendlandt and Pascale Denis PARIS (Reuters) - Maria Grazia Chiuri, Dior's first women designer, on Friday took the fashion brand in a new direction with a maiden eclectic collection aimed at connecting with young consumers and re-invigorating sales. Chiuri, who arrived at Dior in July after two decades at Valentino, put together in five weeks a wardrobe that mixed "sport couture" with street style and fairy tales. "The collection is eclectic just like women are eclectic, they like …

  • New York's Met is sued over Picasso sold in Nazi, Fascist era

    By Jonathan Stempel NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan was sued on Friday for the return of a Pablo Picasso masterpiece allegedly sold under duress in 1938 because of Nazi and Fascist persecution in Europe. A complaint was filed in Manhattan federal court by the great-grandniece of Paul Leffmann, a Jewish industrialist from Germany who once owned "The Actor," a rare work from Picasso's Rose Period in 1904 and 1905. Laurel Zuckerman, who handles estate matters …

  • Did Fawad Khan say 'Bollywood Kisike Baap Ka Hai Kya?'
    Did Fawad Khan say 'Bollywood Kisike Baap Ka Hai Kya?'

    IMPPA president says 'yes, he has heard so', Ameya Khopkar and Ashoke Pandit add on to it lots more …

  • Costco should pay $5.5 million for selling fake Tiffany rings: U.S. jury
    Costco should pay $5.5 million for selling fake Tiffany rings: U.S. jury

    By Andrew Chung NEW YORK (Reuters) - Costco Wholesale Corp should hand over $5.5 million to compensate Tiffany & Co for selling counterfeit Tiffany diamond engagement rings, a federal jury said on Thursday. Tiffany is also entitled to punitive damages, the jury in Manhattan said. Lawyers for both sides were presenting evidence on Friday to help determine the amount of punitive damages. …

  • Bollywood’s ‘October Fest’ Is All Set To Begin
    Bollywood’s ‘October Fest’ Is All Set To Begin

    There’s a lot in store for all you film buffs out there …

  • Daniel Craig still first choice for Bond, says producer
    Daniel Craig still first choice for Bond, says producer

    The team behind the James Bond films wants Daniel Craig to return as 007, the spy series' executive producer said on Friday, even after the British actor said he would rather slash his wrists than appear again. The 48-year-old star was "absolutely the first choice ... We would love Daniel to return as Bond," Callum McDougall told BBC radio. Craig said last year he was "over" the role after filming wrapped up on the last instalment "Spectre", which went on to gross $880 million worldwide. …

Loading...