New Delhi, Sept.2 (ANI): The seventeenth day of the extended Monsoon Session saw a discussion on The National Food Security Bill, 2013 in the Rajya Sabha. At the time of sending this diary, the discussion was still ongoing.
Monday was the first of the five extra sittings taking place because of the extension of the Monsoon Session until September 6 (Friday).
The Lok Sabha passed amendments made to The National Highways Authority Of India (Amendment) Bill, 2013 by the Rajya Sabha, officially passing the Bill.
Afterwards, Speaker Meira Kumar suspended nine MPs for "grave disorder" caused by their continued protests and adjourned the House until 2:00PM. The MPs were protesting the creation of a separate state of Telangana. Under Rule 374(A), the MPs are suspended from the service of the House for the next five consecutive sittings.
While the session was extended in order to provide sufficient time for completion of essential items of government business, the Lok Sabha had to be adjourned for the day at 2:03 p.m. because the suspended Lok Sabha MPs refused to leave the House.
Two MPs were also suspended from the Rajya Sabha for the day, after Deputy Chariman P.J. Kurien invoked Rule 255.
The two MPs were also protesting the formation of Telangana. The Upper House also saw some MPs raise concern over fuel hikes.
The issue of missing coal files was also raised by the BJP in the Rajya Sabha during the zero hour.
The Legislative Agenda for the Lok Sabha for the day was:
1. National Highways Authority of India (Amendment) Bill, 2012 [Consideration of Rajya Sabha Amendments]
2. Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority Bill, 2011
3. Right to information (Amendment) Bill, 2013
4. Securities Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2013
5. Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (Amendment) Bill, 2011
6. Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Bill, 2012
7. Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending) Bill, 2012
The Legislative Agenda for the Rajya Sabha for today is:
1. The National Food Security Bill, 2013
2. The Constitution (One Hundred and Twentieth Amendment) Bill, 2013 [introduced August 29, 2013]
3. The Judicial Appointments Commission Bill, 2013 [introduced August 29, 2013]
4. The Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2013
5. The Governors (Emoluments, Allowances and Privileges) Amendment Bill, 2013 [as passed by Lok Sabha] (ANI)