'Promoter' De La Hoya set to miss Alvarez-Mayweather fight after being admitted to rehab

Washington, Sept 11 (ANI): Former boxer Oscar De La Hoya, whose promotion company is managing Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Canelo Alvarez's big fight, has admitted himself to a treatment facility for substance abuse and will miss the bout.

According to CBS News, De La Hoya announced that he would not be at the fight to cheer Canelo to victory and that he had explained it to the fighter who understood that his health and long-term recovery from disease came first.

De La Hoya first admitted two years ago that he was an alcoholic and drug user and had been in treatment, the report said.

The former boxer is a partner in Golden Boy Promotions, which promotes Alvarez and is promoting the fight against Mayweather, the report added.

De La Hoya won world titles in six classes and an Olympic gold medal in 1992 and retired in December 2008 after being stopped by Manny Pacquiao in his last fight, the report further said.

He once said that he had contemplated suicide during his battle with substance abuse, according to the report. (ANI)