Political parties rallied behind Shah Rukh Khan on Tuesday and asked the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) to open the gates of the Wankhede Stadium for the actor.
The Congress and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena said the MCA should revoke the ban on his entry into the stadium for his boorish behaviour. Last year, Khan was banned from entering the Wankhede for five years after he got involved in a brawl with security guards and the then MCA treasurer Ravi Sawant, who is now its president.
Sachin Sawant, spokesperson of the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee, wrote a letter to the MCA on Tuesday.
“Shah Rukh Khan has subsequently, publicly apologised for his misconduct. After the apology, we feel that it would be in the interest of sports if your esteemed organisation shows true sportsman spirit and allows entry to Shri Khan,” Sawant wrote.
Not just the Congress but Maharashtra Navnirman Sena Chief, Raj Thackeray who also favoured Khan, saying that the MCA should reconsider its stance as he was not a “ terrorist”. “ Whatever happened could have been wrong but he’s not a terrorist that you have stopped him from entering the stadium. He owns one of the teams and you can’t stop him like that,” said Raj.