Islamabad, July 6 (ANI): The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has claimed that it had lost approximately 80 million dollars in its broadcasting deal with the Dubai-based Ten Sports that ended last month, due to a lack of bilateral series with India.
According to the Daily Times, Pakistan toured India in December 2012 for a short one-day series, the first bilateral series between the two countries since 2007, although India has refused to play Pakistan or even in Pakistan since 2008 and also cancelled a full tour in early 2009.
A PCB official said that there was a clause in their agreement with Ten Sports that Pakistan had to play at least two home series with India in a four year cycle, which would have fetched them an estimated 80 million dollars out of the total deal of 135 million dollars, adding that the amount was lost due to the lack of bilateral ties with India.
Stating that the tough part was that the board would face a similar problem when it invites bids for a new four-year deal in September, the official further said that broadcasters would again want an escape clause if they do not play India in a home series, and again cost the PCB estimated revenues.
However, the official also said that the broadcasters had no problem with Pakistan hosting a home series against India at a neutral venue due to teams' refusal to come to the country after the 2009 Lahore terror attack on the Sri Lankan players.
But, the official rued that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is not willing to even play at neutral venues following the Mumbai terror attacks, adding that political and other relations with India have also adversely affected Pakistan's cricket ties and revenues.
According to the official, the PCB still has not got any compensation for the cancelled series from India till date, adding that even though the PCB had tried to convince India to give Pakistan a home series even if it had to be played in India, it failed to meet with success although both teams had windows in August. (ANI)