Karachi, (AFP): Pakistan on Monday dropped seasoned batsman Younis Khan from a 16-man squad for a three one-day match series against Australia, starting in the United Arab Emirates later this month.
The matches will be played on August 28 in Sharjah, August 31 in Abu Dhabi and again in Sharjah on September 3. The teams will also play three Twenty20s, for which a team was announced last month.
Khan, 34, had been a lean form during a five-match away one-day series against Sri Lanka last month, scoring only 10 runs in four innings.
He has so far played 245 one-days for Pakistan, scoring 6,824 runs, but his last hundred came four years ago. Also out of the squad is ace paceman Umar Gul, who managed just four wickets in four matches against Sri Lanka.
Chief selector Iqbal Qasim said both Younis and Gul, a 28-year-old veteran of 111 one-day matches, have been rested.
"If you look at the last series against Sri Lanka, both Younis and Gul were struggling with form so we have rested them for the two tough series ahead, the first against India in December and then against South Africa early next year," Qasim told AFP.
Qasim denied Younis's career was over. "By no means (is it) over, he can stage a comeback after rest," said Qasim.
Wicket-keeper batsman Kamran Akmal, already recalled for the Twenty20 series against Australia, also bagged a place in the one-day team.
"We observed during the Sri Lanka series that our batting struggled, especially the lower order, so we included Kamran who gives solidity to the batting," said Qasim.
Opener Nasir Jamshed, withdrawn from the team for Sri Lanka due to a finger injury, will also make a return, as will all-rounder Anwar Ali.
Ali, 23, has played just one Twenty20 for Pakistan, in 2008. The three Twenty20s against Australia will be played on September 5, 7 and 10 -- all in Dubai.
Squad: Misbahul Haq (captain), Nasir Jamshed, Mohammad Hafeez, Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Umar Akmal, Kamran Akmal, Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanveer, Aizaz Cheema, Saeed Ajmal, Imran Farhat, Shoaib Malik, Abdur Rehman, Junaid Khan, Anwar Ali.
Pakistan dumps Younis Khan for Australia ODIs
Chief selector Iqbal Qasim said both Younis and Umar Gul, a 28-year-old veteran of 111 one-day matches, have been rested.Yahoo! Cricket – Mon 13 Aug, 2012 9:28 PM IST
- vs. NEPNED4th T20IFri, Jul 03, 2015Rotterdam, NetherlandsNepal in Netherlands T20 S...
- NED won by 18 runsvs. NEPNED3rd T20IThu, Jul 02, 2015Rotterdam, NetherlandsNepal in Netherlands T20 S...
- NED won by 103 runsvs. NEPNED2nd T20IWed, Jul 01, 2015Amstelveen, NetherlandsNepal in Netherlands T20 S...
- vs. PAKSL3rd TestLIVECurrent Run Rate 3.16Kandy, Sri LankaPakistan in Sri Lanka Test...
- Upcoming matchvs. SABAN1st T20ISun, Jul 05, 2015Mirpur, BangladeshSouth Africa in Bangladesh...
- vs. SABAN2nd T20ITue, Jul 07, 2015Tue, Jul 07, 2015Mirpur, BangladeshSouth Africa in Bangladesh...
- vs. AUSENG1st TestWed, Jul 08, 2015Wed, Jul 08, 2015Cardiff, EnglandThe Ashes, 2015...