Pak police denies `banned` Asif's claims of being `robbed at gunpoint`

Islamabad, June 27 (ANI): Police in Pakistan has denied claims by banned pace bowler Mohammad Asif that he was robbed of cash and valuables at gunpoint.

Asif, who was given a seven-year ban, with two of them suspended by the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2011, was released from a British prison in May last year after serving half of a one-year term for his part in bowling deliberate no-balls during a Lord's test against England in 2010, the Daily Times reports.

Stating that the incident took place near Lahore airport in the early morning, Asif said that four armed robbers took Rs.92,000, his wallet containing cards, his passport and his expensive watch, adding that he had filed a report with the police station of the area.

Terming the incident as 'nerve-wracking', Asif further said even though he had been through a lot in the last two years because of the spot-fixing scandal, he was more shaken by this incident because of the fact that the robbers had pointed guns at his face.

However, the police denied the claims by the controversial cricketer, saying that the incident was a result of a personal dispute and not a robbery

Meanwhile, the local police department has also lodged a case against Asif for causing damages at a local restaurant, the report added. (ANI)