Obama reviews security measures on eve of 9/11

Washington, Sep 11 (IANS) Twelve years after the 9/11 attack, the US national security team pledged to take "measures to prevent 9/11 related attacks and to ensure the protection of US persons and facilities abroad", a White House statement said.

US President Barack Obama has reportedly met Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel and other national security officials on the eve of the 12th anniversary of the Sep 11 attacks and reviewed security measures, reports Xinhua.

"September 11th has been a day of remembrance for Americans and others around the world," White House spokesman Jay Carney said in the statement.

The attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya, last year also "brought home the reality of the challenges we face in the world," he added.

Wednesday marks the 12th anniversary of Sep 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against the US and the first anniversary of the Benghazi attack that killed US ambassador Christopher Stevens and three American citizens.

"We remain committed to bringing the perpetrators of the Benghazi attacks to justice and to ensure the safety of our brave personnel serving overseas," Carney said.

In close coordination with the State Department, the Defence Department has undertaken a number of efforts over the past year to increase security planning at US embassies and installations around the world, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said in a statement.

--

Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.

Matches