'No reports received of injuries caused to Indian nationals': MEA on Boston blasts

New Delhi, Apr. 16 (ANI): Asserting that India remains committed to the effort to defeat terrorism and to uphold the values that define democratic nations such as ours, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Tuesday said the Indian Embassy in Washington DC and Indian Consulate General in New York have been placed on alert although no reports have as yet been received of injuries caused to Indian nationals following the blasts in Boston.

"As has been underlined by India's leaders, India remains committed to the effort to defeat terrorism and to uphold the values that define democratic nations such as ours," said MEA official spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin.

"Although no reports have as yet been received of injuries caused to Indian nationals as a result of this despicable act, our Embassy in Washington DC and our Consulate General in New York have been placed on alert. Indian nationals with concerns to report may do so at the Embassy's emergency number, (001) 202 939 7000," he added.

Akbaruddin further said President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh have strongly condemned the multiple bombings in Central Boston on April 15.

"The solidarity and sympathy of the people of India have been expressed by India's leadership, including in a letter of condolence sent by the Prime Minister to the President of the United States of America earlier this morning," he added.

Condemning the Boston blasts, President Mukherjee today said the world should unite to combat the menace of terrorism.

"Terrorism shows no respect for any boundary and the world should unite to combat this menace," he said in Imphal.

The Prime Minister today wrote to US President Barack Obama expressing solidarity with the American people in the wake of the 'senseless and cowardly act'.

"The people of India join me in condemning the attack in the strongest terms. We stand in solidarity and sympathy with the bereaved families, the injured and the people of the United States," Dr. Singh said, while expressing shock and sadness over the attack.

The Prime Minister also offered full support to the US in the investigations into the attack.

Three persons were killed and over 130 sustained injuries when two powerful explosions rocked Boston during an annual marathon.

The two blasts occurred within seconds at a sidewalk along the route of the Boston Marathon, where thousands of people had lined up to cheer on the marathoners. (ANI)

--

Did you know that you can get stories like this on the Yahoo mail app?
Download it here.

Matches