India crush Pakistan | Scorecard | Match pictures | Dhoni praises Kohli
Colombo: Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Sunday said though he was happy with the showing against Pakistan, it was important to keep up the good work in the next match.
At a press conference, the Team India captain said Yuvraj Singh was crucial to his plans and there was no question of dropping him.
The following are excerpts
If he’s happy with the batting
Virat (Kohli) has been in fine touch… The good thing is that all our top-seven batsmen have played matches and performed under pressure. All have got the exposure… That’s a big positive. Everyone has got their turn to bat and that is good.
If the batsmen should have stepped up the run-rate in the later stages
I think they have played the way they should have. There are times when you go for shots and lose wickets which increases the pressure on the side. Here when they realised that even if they get out they are not going to lose the match, they did go for the big shots.
Yuvraj Singh’s performance
If we look at our combination, we play seven batsmen and you can’t leave out someone like Yuvraj Singh. We had never considered the option of leaving out Yuvraj. Our bowling line-up is such that we need a left-arm bowler who can take the ball away from the batsman. Also he is a brilliant fielder as you saw with the run-out today (Sunday)…
If he’s happy with Yuvraj’s fitness
I am not really concerned about his fitness as far as this format is concerned. He’s very fit for this format. He has worked really hard at the NCA for the past few months. He has also played some T20 matches before coming into international cricket.
The bowlers’ show
Assessing the bowlers in the context of the last match is not right… The ball was wet and the conditions didn’t suit them… We don’t have bowlers who can bowl at 145 kmph. We have bowlers who are slightly slower but do have the skill to get the opposition batsmen out.
The combination for the next match
As I’ve said earlier, we will take horses for courses policy. It’s important to keep going… Whatever suits the conditions, will be fielded on the day…It’s very difficult to decide on the XI a day in advance.
No question of dropping Yuvraj: Dhoni
Dhoni was all praise for Yuvraj - the batsman, bowler and fielder.The Telegraph – Mon 1 Oct, 2012 10:01 AM IST
Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Download it now.
- AUS won by 23 runsvs. AUSIREOne-off ODIThu, Aug 27, 2015Stormont, Belfast, IrelandAustralia in Ireland ODI S...
- SA won by 62 runsvs. NZSA3rd ODIWed, Aug 26, 2015Durban, South AfricaNew Zealand in South Afric...
- IND won by 278 runsvs. INDSL2nd TestThu, Aug 20, 2015Colombo, Sri LankaIndia in Sri Lanka Test Se...
- live match IND 21/3 (8.1 Overs)vs. INDSL3rd TestLIVESL 201/10; IND 312/10;Colombo, Sri LankaIndia in Sri Lanka Test Se...
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSENGOne-off T20IMon, Aug 31, 2015Cardiff, EnglandAustralia in England T20 S...
- vs. AUSENG1st ODIThu, Sep 03, 2015Thu, Sep 03, 2015Southampton, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...
- vs. AUSENG2nd ODISat, Sep 05, 2015Sat, Sep 05, 2015London, EnglandAustralia in England ODI S...