Nine blasts took place, two live bombs defused in Bodh Gaya, says Shinde

New Delhi, July 7 (ANI): Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Sunday informed that nine blasts took place at the pilgrimage town of Bodh Gaya.

"There were a total of nine blasts. Four blasts happened in the temple complex, three blasts occurred in the Bargi monastery, one blast near the Buddha statue and one blast took place in a parked tourist bus," Shinde told the media here.

Shinde said that separate teams from the National Security Guard (NSG) and the National Investigation Agency (NIA) have been rushed to Bihar to probe the multiple blasts.

"A team of National Security Guard (NSG), which carries out the enquiry after the blasts, has been sent along with a separate National Investigation team. They have left by an aeroplane," he said.

The Union Home Minister further said two live bombs were detected and defused by security agencies in and around the Mahabodhi temple complex in Bodh Gaya.

Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami earlier in the day said a total of eight blasts had rocked the temple and the areas surrounding it.

"The DGP (Director General of Police) reported that four blasts had taken place inside the temple complex, three blasts had taken place inside the monastery complex and one blast had taken place adjacent to a statue of Lord Buddha," said Goswami.

"The temple complex structure has not suffered any damage, the monastery and the statue of Lord Buddha are also safe. Two persons were injured in this incident and they have been taken to hospital," he added.

The Home Secretary further said teams from the National Security Guard (NSG) and National Investigation Agency (NIA) comprising explosive experts have been sent to Bihar to help the police in collection of evidence and assist in post-blasts investigation."A team of the NSG to carry out a post-blast analysis, and a team of the NIA to investigate into the matter have been sent from here. Once all of them reach there and carry out their analysis, they will report back and we will then be in a position to tell you something more," he said.

The two persons injured following the blasts are undergoing treatment at the Magadh Hospital. No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack. (ANI)

--

Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.

Matches