NHRC seeks report on youth's death from electric shock

New Delhi, July 4 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Thursday issued notices to the Delhi chief secretary as well as a power company following the death of a youth due to electrocution, an official said Thursday.

Taking suo motu cognizance of a media report that Rajiv Sharda, 25, died of electrocution June 15 upon accidentally touching an electric pole in west Delhi's Mahavir Enclave, the commission has sought a reply within four weeks, the official said.

According to media reports, Sharda and a friend were walking to a nearby market around 1.30 p.m. on a waterlogged street when the tragic incident happened.

A live wire had fallen in the water and the duo received a shock when they came in contact with the water.

Trying to get out of the water, Sharda lost his balance and tried to grab a nearby electric pole which was charged and got electrocuted.

He was taken to the nearby Bhagat Chandra Hospital where doctors declared him dead.

"The residents alleged that there were many loosely hanging wires but there was no action despite complaints," said the NHRC.

--

Did you know that you can get stories like this on the Yahoo mail app?
Download it here.

Matches