National level boxer confesses robbing Delhi businessman

New Delhi, July 26 (IANS) A 21-year-old national-level boxer, who was arrested two days ago from Gurgaon in a carjacking case, has confessed to robbing a businessman of Rs.5 lakh here earlier this month, police said Friday.

The boxer, Sumit Dahiya, his cousin Aman, and some of their associates had robbed Ramesh Chand in Delhi's Narela area July 16.

"The complainant had closed his shop near the Narela underpass for the day when the accused arrived there in a car and took away Rs.5 lakh on gun point," said Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav.

The accused confessed to the crime during interrogation, Yadav said.

Sumit and his accomplice were arrested from Hotel Primero in Gurgaon on the intervening night of July 23-24 by the Crime Branch of Delhi Police.

"Sumit is pursuing B.A. from Delhi University's Rajdhani College. He is a national-level boxer. He won three gold medals at the All India Boxing Championships held in 2011, 2012 and 2013," Yadav told IANS.

"The accused have national level and prominent Olympians in their family," the officer added.

The boxer was arrested by Delhi Police when they were looking for the associates of Amit Dahiya, who was killed July 22 during a shootout at Sannoth village in north Delhi's Narela area, police said.

Sumit was present in another car when Amit Dahiya along with Parveen robbed a car from its owner at gunpoint near Sachdeva Public School in north Delhi's Rohini, the police said.

"After the carjacking, while Amit and Parveen went to Narela's Sannoth village where the encounter took place around 3.15 p.m., Sumit and his cousin went to another place," Yadav said.

He said when constables Baljeet Singh Chahal and A.S. Bohara spotted the robbed car without number plate near Sannoth village, they challenged its occupants.

During a scuffle with the policemen, Amit opened fire and constable Baljeet Singh was hit by a bullet, police said.

Amit too was injured, while Parveen managed to escape when the policemen retaliated. Amit later died on way to hospital.

"Parveen hid himself at a place and called Sumit to take him away from there. Sumit and his cousin then picked up Parveen from his hideout and assisted him to escape," said the officer.

"They themselves planned to flee to Rajasthan. However, they were apprehended," the officer informed.


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.