Sydney, Aug. 16 (ANI): Internet Corporation Microsoft has reportedly accused search giant Google of damaging the YouTube brand by deliberately keeping the service off the Windows Phone.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Microsoft re-launched a YouTube app for Windows Phone which had been blocked three months ago, only to have it blocked again after just one day online.
Microsoft deputy general counsel David Howard wrote in his blog post that Google doesn't want Windows Phone users to have the same experience as Android and Apple users.
The report said that Google blocked the YouTube app on the grounds that it did not allow ads and allowed videos to be downloaded.
Even when Microsoft tweaked the app as per Google's demands, it was again blocked as it did not comply with its requirements due to the fact that it wasn't written in HTML 5.
Meanwhile, Google-owned YouTube said that the company is working with Microsoft to build a fully featured YouTube for Windows Phone app, based on HTML5.
YouTube said that Microsoft breached its Terms of Service as it did not make browser upgrades necessary to enable a fully-featured YouTube experience and instead released a new app and thus was disabled.
However, Howard said that building a YouTube app based on HTML5 would be technically difficult and time consuming and pointed out the fact that Google doesn't use it for its own iOS and Android YouTube apps, the report added. (ANI)