London, Nov 15(ANI): Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini is planning to launch a daring January transfer bid for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez despite the controversial forward carrying the Merseyside club on his own with 11 goals in 16 games so far this season.
The Reds will fiercely resist any attempt to lure their star player from Anfield, but Mancini has made the South American his No 1 target after being rebuffed in attempts to lure Atletico Madrid's Falcao to the Etihad Stadium, the Telegraph reports.
Falcao is instead likely to move to Chelsea and Mancini, with his new management structure in place, wants the club to show their intent by attempting to pries Suarez from Anfield, the paper added.
Having recently secured the Uruguayan international on a new contract, Liverpool are in a position to put off bidders with a price tag well in excess of the club record 50 million pound they received for Fernando Torres two years ago, it said.
The paper further reported that even a bid that would shatter British transfer records would not be welcomed by the Anfield hierarchy who recognise the importance of Suarez to Brendan Rodgers's rebuilding plans.
The 25 year-old has scored eight goals in the Premier League so far, and despite his chequered disciplinary record, his absence would represent a huge blow to the club's hopes of regaining their former status, it added
Suarez himself has shown no inclination for giving up on inspiring the Merseyside club back into the top four and Liverpool will be confident any January move is doomed to fail, it said. (ANI)