Mohali: There is a hint of pride which Chennai Super Kings (CSK) unmistakably carry with them, and understandably so. Through the five editions of the IPL, the two-time champions have displayed unmatched consistency and ruthlessness to become the trail-blazers in this fast-paced format.
So when they lost their first match to Mumbai Indians, CSK coach Stephen Fleming was quick to roll out a stern reminder that they needed to be a cut above the rest.
CSK fumbled while chasing a total of 149, falling short in their home tie. Had it not been for CSK’s gutsy leader Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who slammed 51 off 26 balls, they would have lost by a bigger margin.
The top order crashed to 66 for five, which forced Fleming to pull up his boys. He wanted the experienced batting line-up to reflect on its performance.
It speaks volumes about the team’s culture. These are still early days in the season, but the team management is not willing to compromise on the standards they have set and maintained over the years.
Thus, one will expect the likes of Michael Hussey, Murali Vijay, Suresh Raina and Dwayne Bravo to come hard.
The Chennai team went through the paces in the afternoon at the PCA Stadium here, as they prepared to face another set of Kings who have done little in the past to do justice to their name and talent.
However, Kings XI Punjab showed a lot of spunk in their eight-wicket victory over Pune Warriors on Sunday.
The bowling line-up of Kings XI suggests they have enough guile and experience in their ranks. All their medium pacers are adept in taking the pace off the ball, a quality that has paid rich dividends in this format. Add to it the skill of moving the ball and one finds Praveen Kumar, Azhar Mahmood and Ryan Harris with the potential to excel. Not to forget the hard working Parvinder Awana and leg-spinner Piyush Chawla. It is because of such handy players that bowling coach Joe Dawes was confident that they have got all bases covered. A genuine quick, though, is the only missing link.
The bowling line-up showed its class when they bowled out Pune Warriors for just 99. It, therefore, will not be surprising if Wednesday’s contest turns out to be a battle between Super Kings batsmen and Kings XI bowlers.
In batting, Kings XI depends heavily on skipper Adam Gilchrist and the reliable David Hussey. The two experienced Australian campaigners will have to guide a slew of local talents.
Reproduced From Mail Today. Copyright 2013. MTNPL. All rights reserved.
KXIP vs CSK: Battle of Kings
Chennai Super Kings look for their first win of IPL-6 against Kings XI Punjab.By Avishek Roy | Mail Today – Wed 10 Apr, 2013 11:54 AM IST
- KXIP won by 7 wkts.vs. KXIPRAJMatch 7Sun, Apr 20, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- DEL won by 4 wkts.vs. DELKOLMatch 6Sat, Apr 19, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- BLR won by 7 wkts.vs. MUMBLRMatch 5Sat, Apr 19, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. DELCHEMatch 8Mon, Apr 21, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. SRHKXIPMatch 9Tue, Apr 22, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- vs. CHERAJMatch 10Wed, Apr 23, 2014Wed, Apr 23, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
1 - 4 of 20