Mumbai, June 11 -- Rajasthan Royals co-owner Raj Kundra, who was suspended by the Board of Control for Cricket in India on Monday for allegedly betting in the T20 league, said he would contest the board's decision.
In a statement, Kundra said the accusations levelled against him were made without any proof and termed BCCI's suspension has illegal. "I am shocked and upset at the unilateral decision taken by the BCCI and will fight the grounds of suspension," he stated. "It is sad that without facts, I am being made a scapegoat and put under trial by the media based on unproved claims," he added.
Kundra, a British national, further stated: "People need to realise that as a British national and Non-Resident Indian, if I wanted to bet I could have done so off-shore on any betting website legally. However, I did not do so as ACSU rules state that owners cannot bet on the T20 league."
Kundra has been under the spotlight since the Delhi Police commissioner revealed that Royals co-owner had confessed to having placed bets during the T20 league. Though, Delhi Police have not arrested Kundra due to 'lack of evidence.'
Kundra is the second team official to be suspended after Chennai Super Kings team principal Gurunath Meiyappan, who is the son-in-law of BCCI President N Srinivasan.
Srinivasan was forced to 'step aside' pending the probe into Meiyappan, who was granted bail last week.
Published by HT Syndication with permission from Hindustan Times.