New Delhi: The upcoming India-Australia series is likely to see some sparks fly, according to Virat Kohli.
The prolific batsman said the Indians won’t be caught napping in the ‘sledging slugfest’, the Delhi batsman said at a promotional event in the Capital on Thursday.
“I’ll give my reply to the sledging with my bat and the current players anyways won’t take it lying down. We will definitely get back at them if the need arises,” Kohli said.
Kohli said the seven-match ODI series will be a tight affair, even though the visitors will be without their injured captain Michael Clarke.
“The Australia series is going to be competitive. Even without Clarke, they are a strong side. But I am confident that we will win the series,” Kohli said at an event organised by Adidas.
The 24-year-old player also spoke about his love for soccer and said he would have chosen it as his profession if he would have failed to make it big as a cricketer.
“I love soccer and would have become a footballer if I would have failed to become a successful cricketer. I follow football pretty seriously and Cristiano Ronaldo is my favourite player. I would also love to visit Brazil during next year’s World Cup but I don’t think my schedule would permit it.”
Kohli said South African speedsters - Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel - were the two most dangerous bowlers he has faced in his career so far.
On comparisons with Sachin Tendulkar, Kohli said that he would be happy if he achieves even 60 per cent of what the master blaster has done.
“Hope I can play for the country for such a long span as Sachin (Tendulkar) has and remain as fit as he is. It is amazing to see how long he has been able to play at this level. If I can achieve 60-70 per cent of what he has achieved so far in his career, I will be very happy.”
Kohli also had a word of advice for youngsters, who are caught in the dilemma of taking up sports as a profession.
“One needs to have a vision in life. Determination and focus is very important to achieve your target. The earlier one realises this, the better. I gave up studies to take up cricket as a career and I’m glad that I made that choice early in my life.”
Kohli predicts verbal duel in Australia series
'I’ll give my reply to the sledging with my bat'By Soumalya Santikari | Mail Today – Fri 4 Oct, 2013 11:47 AM IST
- BLR won by 8 wkts.vs. BLRDELMatch 2Thu, Apr 17, 2014Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- KOL won by 41 runsvs. KOLMUMMatch 1Wed, Apr 16, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- SL won by 6 wkts.vs. INDSLFinalSun, Apr 06, 2014Mirpur, BangladeshWorld Twenty20, 2014...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. KXIPCHEMatch 3Fri, Apr 18, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. RAJSRHMatch 4Fri, Apr 18, 2014Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
- Upcoming matchvs. MUMBLRMatch 5Sat, Apr 19, 2014Dubai, United Arab EmiratesIndian Premier League, 201...
1 - 4 of 20