Killing of Indian jawans by Pak troops 'unacceptable': Khurshid

New Delhi, Jan. 9 (ANI): External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Wednesday said that Pakistan's High Commissioner Salman Bashir has been told in very strong terms that the killing of two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops is 'unacceptable', and added that it could have an adverse impact if it is not immediately contained.

Khurshid said the Pakistani envoy, who was summoned to the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), has been conveyed in very strong terms the deepest concern and protest at what has happened.

"We had the discussions on 27th of December on the conventional CBMs and the non-violation of the Line of Control is the most important part of those CBMs. And therefore violation of that in itself is something which is a matter of great concern and that will obviously if it is not immediately contained would have an adverse impact on what we have been trying to do for such a long time. But the specific context that has come to our notice about the manner in which the soldiers bodies have been treated is of course a matter of very very deep concern and indeed a sense of hurt is being felt is taken on board. This has been conveyed as being unacceptable," Khurshid told the media here.

"We are doing the best that's possible. And I expect that there will be some response from the other side. Our intent is being conveyed very clearly, our anxiety has been conveyed very clearly. Now, we would expect an appropriate response from that side," he added.

Condemning the untoward incident that took place along the LoC, Khurshid further said it's very important that we make sure that whatever has happened should not be escalated

"I can once again repeat that this is completely unacceptable. At the same time, I think it's very important that we make sure that whatever has happened should not be escalated. We cannot and must not allow for an escalation of a very unwholesome event that has taken place," he said.

Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai, who met Bashir today, lodged a strong protest over the Pakistan Army's actions across the Line of Control (LoC) in the Mendhar sector, and asked Islamabad to immediately investigate these actions that are in contravention of all norms of international conduct and ensure that these do not recur.

Defence Minister A.K. Antony has condemned the killing of two soldiers by the Indian army as 'highly provocative' and said that the way one of the Indian soldier's bodies had been treated was 'inhuman'.

In a major escalation to the ceasefire violations and infiltration attempts, a group of Pakistan Army soldiers raided across the Line of Control in Mendhar Sector and killed two Indian soldiers and injured one more. The Pakistani troops attacked an area domination patrol party of the Indian Army.

Two Indian soldiers Lance Naik Hemraj and Lance Naik Sudhakar Singh laid down their lives while fighting the Pakistani troops.

The Pakistani Army has, however, so far denied the claims made by India that its troops killed two Indian soldiers in a cross-border attack along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir's Poonch District. (ANI)


Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.